The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 08:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
You're welcome. Sounds like you're off to a good start... Just remember the three simple rules: "Slow Down. Call The Obvious. Don't F- It Up"
You're missing the most important rule, however.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 09:13pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
-As Lead, ball-watching reduced to almost never...but I know it has to be never

This cannot be overemphasized, but it can be overdone. You can see the ball without watching it, just like a number of other things. You do always need to know where the ball is.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Journal - Sorry, very long!

Thanks to all of your helpful comments and support, I am surviving my rookie season. One of the suggestions was to keep a diary, which I have done. Then, since I love to write, I made it into a journal. I thought some of you might want to read it – but I must warn you, it is very long!

Maybe it will bring back memories for you veterans. Maybe it can help a fellow rookie. I just hope it is enjoyable reading.

But most of all, I did it as a way to thank all of you for your invaluable advice. You all have helped me more than you will ever know.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...VBS--W3D0A/pub
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats. I appreciate how you listed out areas you wanted to improve on. It can be overwhelming. Someone else mentioned it, but I also recommend focusing on improving one thing at a time. At some point, I accepted that there was no better way to learn than experience. The more I saw, the more comfortable and better I got. YMMV, but that helped me slow down and just focus on learning and doing one key thing really well instead of trying to improve everything at once. I knew I was going to get better just by doing more games. Also, with more experience (or is it age?), you start to appreciate hot moms more.

You might (most likely) have some degree of ups and downs. Just know that it happens to everyone and have faith in yourself. Most importantly, remember it's just MS/HS basketball and that no matter world some coaches or fans live in, it's still not an accepted social norm to be a jackass up about MS/HS basketball. Don't let the bad shit get to you - treat it like you would if some idiot on the street who didn't know you started cussing you out - who the f*** cares what someone who doesn't know you says.

Before I started officiating basketball, when I watched basketball games, I didn't appreciate all the little details that went into an official's duties. When I watched game live or on TV after I first stepped on the court as a ref, my perspective completely changed. If you have the opportunity, I'd seek out local officials that are respected, and watch their games. You can learn a lot by just watching how they position themselves, their mechanics and signaling, and how they communicate. For example, you mentioned you had a lot of pushes; go watch a game and see what the officials call for different types of fouls. Pretend you're the lead and forget about the ball - just focus on the lead's PCA. It is weird to go to a game and watch the refs instead of the ball, but I picked up a lot quickly from that. Even watching NCAA games on TV helped, though more from observing what they deemed as advantage/disadvantage on fouls and signaling moreso than mechanics/positioning (w/ their 3-man crews).

It will be a lot of fun, and it will change the way you view the game of basketball - in a good way. Best of all, you can clearly correct your idiot friends when they complain about calls on TV.

Best of luck!
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, wildcatter, for all of your suggestions. I agree, I found watching other officials was very helpful, once I trained myself not to follow the ball!
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Like printing money baby and I love it!

Don't hate on VB!
+1 Amen!
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

And, no matter how far you go with your officiating career, remember this:

"You're never as good as you think you are and you're never as bad as they say you are."

Like anything else, it's a continuous learning experience. Embrace everything that comes with the endeavor with a good attitude. You'll make a bunch of friends, make good memories and have a lot of fun along the way.

Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

I have been so preoccupied with rules, mechanics, and trying to do the right thing, that I never even considered the social aspect. Almost every partner has been really nice, and after just a few minutes of chatting, it seems like we share a common interest, or have a mutual friend, or our kids attend the same college, etc....I can definitely see making new friends!