The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 06:09pm
Aztec-Irishman

Talking Officials Mini-camp

Sports fans, (my idea of humor)

I wanted to share with you something our local Board conducted last night in preparation for the upcoming HS season and continuing education. We led a free mini officials camp for a handful of 1-5yr experienced newer officials. (Many thanks to our local Boy's & Girl's Club) Actually, we have conducted several of these recently and I thought this camp/game was the best received and something our Board plans to continue in the future.

Since our Boys HS season does not begin until next week, we invited two local Boys JV HS teams to play a scrimmage. We ran a six-quarter scrimmage in which we had two newer officials officiate for one quarter and three veteran officials video/iPad and take notes on improvement suggestions. (I am sure someone will have a wisecrack) During a two-quarter break, the veteran and new officials reviewed on iPads the previous quarter worked. Afterwards, the two newer officials worked another quarter and reviewed accordingly. Think of a condensed IAABO Camp held in one night.

This event was a win/win/win event for all. We had a controlled environment to work with newer officials; the players were able to get a good tune up for upcoming tryouts and parents/some fans/ and coaches were able to watch.

Please share other ideas your Board conducts to continue newer officials education.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 08:17pm
High Five Master

Missouri does this as a requirement for first three year officials in most sports, basketball included. Several final four officials come and give tips, run a mechanics clinic classroom. Then, the host school team finished their practice with scrimmage that are officiated by the rookies with tips from vets. No video or reflection period, just as the game goes on. Helpful in lots of ways but sometimes there can be way too many guys around. I would like the video and fewer guys so could have done more one on one.

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 01:07pm

In the summer, in conjunction with a boys varsity league, our organization runs a "summer camp". To participate, an official pays $25. The clinicians are volunteer officials from our organization that had to have worked a minimum of a state semi-final. Five of the clinicians who regularly volunteer work NCAA ball. The league is made up of the traditionally the top 8 boys programs in the state who decided to get together and play a round robin format to stay active in the summer. It is 4 games played on Sunday evenings and the coaches used to "officiate" the league. We saw it as an opportunity to teach newer, less experienced officials and put "officials" on the floor for the teams. The officials don't get paid and neither do the clinicians. We use the $25 the officials pay to pay for food and drinks a couple of times for the working officials and the clinicians during the summer (# of get togethers depends on how many officials sign up and thus how much money we have). If we have any money left over, it is donated to a local charity benefitting childhood cancer research. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, only a small handful of officials take advantage of the opportunity (maybe 15 people or so sign up). They work 3 person, we film the games, and provide links to the films. I just wish we could get more officials to sign up.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt View Post
Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, only a small handful of officials take advantage of the opportunity (maybe 15 people or so sign up). They work 3 person, we film the games, and provide links to the films. I just wish we could get more officials to sign up.
And the rest whine about not getting better games. :/
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

It's really awesome you're doing this for your officials community.

Mad respect for you.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2015, 10:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And the rest whine about not getting better games. :/
Every year especially at playoff time!