The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

I just completed my first basketball camp. The camp is the first of four I plan to attend this off season. This camp was also the least expensive so my expectations was a little lower than for other camps.

The camp flyer touted that this was for any official to reach the next level and I would be working with very experienced officials. It also said that games would be video taped, reviewed, and there would be time to address any questions or concerns.

The dates were for Fri, Sat, and Sun and the only time on the registration form was for a meeting at 7:00 on Fri. I assumed (silly me) that this meant that the camp was in the evenings on those days. I ended up taking some AAU games for Sat and Sun which limited my time at the camp.

I arrived Friday at about 6:15. Some people were out in the parking lot handing out literature for the clinic. We couldn't go in, because it was Spring Break and no one had gotten a key to get into the gym. That is when I found out that there were games all day Sat and Sun. They said they could work around my schedule, just to check in when I arrived or had to leave. I got a ring binder with some basic stuff and read it Friday night.

Arrived Sat morning early. We had some time in the gym before the first game. We went over basic 3 man mechanics. I noticed that even though this was my first camp, I was more experienced than most of the people there. During the pre-game court time, the director indicated that the primary for the lead was the lane plus an area defined by a 45 degree line from the free throw line to the bottom of the 3 point arch. I asked if that hadn't been changed last year and was told no. I didn't want to challenge anyone during the first hour of my first camp, so I waited until we were finished and checked my book. Sure enough, it was a change last year. I later went to the director and showed him in the book and his reply was that we didn't do it that way. Well, our chapter is a trail blazer on things like this, so I accepted his explanation.

Even though I had to leave early, I had to wait till the second game. One of the two gyms had no A/C on, it was warm, but that really didn't matter. The rest of my crew had one person I had worked with this past year that has more experience than me and one person that was a first year official. We called a pretty good game. After the game, we went to another area to review the video tape. The person taping the game did not know how to use the camera, so most of the video (I brought my own tape) had the demo for the camera going. So, I got to see sepia, night vision, menus, and all sorts of other things that blocked out most of the game. The evaluator did have some things to say about what we were doing, but I couldn't see much on the tape. There were some evaluation forms, but no one had filled any out.

After the game, before I left, I found a group of officials in a locker room. They were having the mandatory class time during lunch.

I left to go to my AAU tourney and called 3 games there. It was still early, so I came back and was able to call the last game of the day at the camp. By this time, the video camera was gone, there was no there to watch us, so basically, we were officiating a game for free. I told the scheduler that on Sun, I would be calling AAU games and arrive late.

Sunday, I called 2 games at the AAU tourney. Then, I came over to the camp. When I got there, I was scheduled to be quickly on the floor as many officials had left. Before I started, I found the camp director and told him, I really needed someone to take a good look at me and tell me what I needed to work on. He said he would come in and do it himself. I also had a little time and sat in the gym with he and some other officials and listened while he evaluated how they were making the calls, positioning, and primary areas. This was good stuff and I hoped to have more like that. I worked two 3 man games. During that time, an evaluator sat on a chair in the corner of the gym and on occasion would walk out on the floor and change a call. During one game, the evaluator was standing next to one of the coaches in the bench area. Apparently, he didn't agree on a basket interference call I had made and was joking with the coach about it. This lasted several minutes and really pissed me off. After the game, he was asking me about the BI call as well as one I didn't call (I held my whistle on one by the losing team as a charity non call). That's when he told me what he had said to the coach. I tried to explain to him that he was not doing anything for me by doing this. He just didn't understand and kept trying to explain that it was his friend. I again told him that this was not appropriate. Eventually, I told him it was BS and walked away. Other than that, there was no evaluation on film or in person. This was my second game, so I sat down next to the two evaluators that were sitting there and asked them directly what I needed to work on. I got "called a good game, good calls"... but not much more. About that time, a lady came from the other gym and said there were no officials over there.

One of the evaluators was already on the floor as we were running short of people. I went to the other gym. All officials and evaluators had left. I partnered with someone that didn't have a striped shirt. I called two more games. These were 2 man crews. The other official was someone that I had worked with and was a 1st or 2nd year official. Everyone was tired, but we managed to call the games as they were played. All of the officials had left by this time. During that time, the camp director came into the gym. He talked to the scorekeeper a few minutes (the local coach waiting to leave). He did not even acknowledge the two of us working the game and left the premises. So again, we were there to work some games for free.

I left there about 9:30 Sun night, tired and mad.

All in all, I got some pretty good games. My mission on this camp was to be seen by the evaluators who also schedule games off season, to be seen by coaches and AAU teams, and to get a good idea of where I am in my journey. I needed to get my face out there. That part of my reason to go to this camp was somewhat accomplished. The rest was just free labor. So, for camp purposes, I am thinking I got my money's worth. But, it really could have been a lot more and that is why I am disappointed. I don't plan to attend this camp next year.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 10:00am
Ref Ump Welsch

Unhappy

Sounds like this camp was not well organized at all. I would "recommend" if you hear anyone asking about this camp, to discourage them from going. Do it as discreetly as possible, to save their money from being wasted.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Damian

During one game, the evaluator was standing next to one of the coaches in the bench area. Apparently, he didn't agree on a basket interference call I had made and was joking with the coach about it. This lasted several minutes and really pissed me off. After the game, he was asking me about the BI call as well as one I didn't call (I held my whistle on one by the losing team as a charity non call). That's when he told me what he had said to the coach. I tried to explain to him that he was not doing anything for me by doing this. He just didn't understand and kept trying to explain that it was his friend. I again told him that this was not appropriate. Eventually, I told him it was BS and walked away.
My opinion?

Practice saying these words with conviction:

"OK, I hear what you're saying. Thanks for the input, anything else I need to work on?"

(And BTW, there's a lesson in here about making "charity calls" during camp.)