The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 09:56am
Back from the DL

Camp Mini Topics

In preperation for our camp next month, the director has emailed us campers to see whether we have a rule or mechanic on which you need some clarification.

I have two or three myself, but for those who have done these camps, what topics have helped you the most?
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

PCAs vs. saving the crews, the importance of crisp mechanics, move to improve.
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
PCAs vs. saving the crews, the importance of crisp mechanics, move to improve.
The only issue with that is that everyone's definition of "saving the crew" is different. What you think you must call to save us might be something that I think is stepping on my toes (or vice versa).

PCA's are important to ensure we cover the game properly but sometimes, you just see something that, while it isn't a save the crew call, is just the right and fair thing to do for the players. We are there first for them and to call the game for them. That is what we're paid to do. Making each other look good is second to that....and I am NOT proposing that a person make a habit of throwin their partners under the bus but sometimes, a different official has a better look/angle on a play even if it is not in their PCA.

A perfect example of this is a curl play right in the lead's lap. For years, this was EXCLUSIVELY the lead's PCA and everyone else was to stay out.. Now the C is expected to get that. It wan't the C's PCA before, and technically it probably isn't even now, but it is (and was) the right thing to do. The C has the best look at the play even though it is not in his PCA.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed May 30, 2012 at 12:23pm.
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 02:09pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The only issue with that is that everyone's definition of "saving the crew" is different. What you think you must call to save us might be something that I think is stepping on my toes (or vice versa).
So wouldn't that make it a great topic to cover at camps...use the combined wisdom of the camp directors/clinicians to try to reach some sort of understanding of this issue?
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
So wouldn't that make it a great topic to cover at camps...use the combined wisdom of the camp directors/clinicians to try to reach some sort of understanding of this issue?
No, stay in your area!!
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
It indeed would.

Any discussion of it needs to be qualified with the fact that mechanics and PCA's are "guidelines" and the game should come first, before mechanics. No one outside of the officiating crew cares who's area the call is in or who makes it if the right call is made.
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Just returned from the first of 4 camps this summer and some points of emphasis on the women's side where to stress the "point of contact" on shooters and penetrators, stepping down to see between players on the 3 point attempts, (they think we are marking too many 3s from the closed look).

All "clarification" mechanics ("superman", trip, etc) need to come after a delay from the initial approved CCA signal.

Less cheap "and 1s" and rotate to help the C on screen hedge plays and allow 2 officials on the play side.