The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 02:01pm
Aztec-Irishman

Talking Communicating with Coaches

Recently, I was asked about what simple, respectable phrases officials used to communicate with HS coaches during the game.

Would you share your unique phrases that you have found helpful in your careers? Thank you in advance.

i.e. "I will keep an eye on it"; "From my angle...."; "We will agree to disagree"; "You might be right";
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 02:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From My Hard Drive ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutierrez7 View Post
Recently, I was asked about what simple, respectable phrases officials used to communicate with HS coaches during the game. Would you share your unique phrases that you have found helpful in your careers?
Communication With Coaches

General Techniques:

Statements by coaches don’t normally need a response. Answer questions, not statements.
Let the coach ask their question first, before speaking. Be a responder, not an initiator.
Most coaches will have questions when they believe the officials have missed an obvious call.
Having the officials in closer proximity often calms down the coach.
Be in control and speak in calm, easy tones. Be aware of your body language; maintain positive and confident
body language.
Make eye contact with the coach when the situation allows.
Do not try to answer a question from an out of control coach; deal with the behavior first.
If you’ve missed a call or made a mistake; admit it. This technique can only be used sparingly, perhaps
once a game.
Don’t bluff your way through a call.
Do not ignore a coach.

Specific Communication Examples:

Coach sees the play very differently than the official:
“Coach, if that’s the way it happened/what you saw, then I must have missed it. I’ll take a closer look next
time.”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, however, on that play I didn’t see it that way. I’ll keep an eye for it
on both ends.”
“Coach, we’ll watch for that on both ends.”
“Coach, I had a good look at that play and here’s what I saw (short explanation).”
“Coach, I was in a good position to make that call.”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, but my angle was different than yours.”
“Coach, I had a great look at that play, but I understand your question and I’ll have the crew keep an eye on it.”
“Coach, I had that play all the way and made the call.”

Coach believes you’re missing persistent illegal acts by the other team:
“OK coach, we’ll watch for that.”
“Coach, we are watching for that on both ends of the court.”
“Coach, I hear you, and I’ll work hard to get a better view.”

Coach is questioning a partner’s call:
“Coach, that’s a good call, as a crew we have to make that call.”
“We’re calling it on both ends.”
“Coach, he/she was right there and had a great angle.”
“Coach, we’re not going there, I can’t let you criticize my partner.”
“Coach, he/she had a great look, but if you have a specific question, you’ll have to ask him/her, he/she’ll be
over here in just a minute.”
“Tell me, I’ll ask him.”

Coach is very animated and gesturing:
“Coach, I’m going to talk with you and answer your questions, but you must put your arms down/stop the
gesturing.”
“Coach, please put your arms down. Now, what’s your question?”

Coach is raising their voice asking the question:
“Coach, I can hear you. I’m standing right here, you don’t need to raise your voice.”
"Coach, I need you to stop raising your voice and just ask your question calmly.”
“Coach, stop yelling across the court, I’m right here.”

Coach is commenting on something every time down the floor:
“Coach, I need you to pick your spots, we can’t have a comment on every single call that is being made.”
"Coach, I can't have you officiating this game."
"Coach, I understand you're not going to agree with all of our calls, but I can't have you question every
single one."
"Coach, if you have a question, I'll answer if I have a chance, but we aren't going to have these constant
comments."
“Coach, I will listen to you, but you can’t officiate every play.”

Coach has a good point and might be right.
“You’ve got a good point and might be right about that play.”
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”
“You might be right; I may not have had the best angle on that play.”
“Coach, I missed it.”

Coach is venting, make editorial comments:
“I hear what you’re saying”
“I hear what you’re saying, but we’re moving on.”

Coach just won’t let it go:
“Coach, I hear you, but we’re moving on.”
“Coach, enough.”
“I’ve heard enough and that’s your warning.”

Original Source: Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 28, 2015 at 02:07pm.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 03:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Just treat them like adults. Before phrases and quick sentences can be useful, I think one needs to remember we are dealing with adults. That means treating them with respect and expecting they treat us the same.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Just treat them like adults. Before phrases and quick sentences can be useful, I think one needs to remember we are dealing with adults. That means treating them with respect and expecting they treat us the same.
If only they all acted like adults

I generally only answer questions unless I can answer a statement in five words or less. I had one today where my partner stopped the action to check on an injured player. The player was fine, no need to call the coach out to check on him. The other coach said "Wait you stopped the game you have to take him out!"

I was the trail, tableside, right in front of his bench. I just looked over and said "That's not the rule, coach". It was an effective response.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

I've heard a couple that I now use as an official:
Coach: Are we doing anything right tonight?
Coach: We're busting our rear end out here tonight, we want to get every play right.
Coach: We need to keep the kids safe.
Coach: We need to keep this game fair.
Coach: We need good sportsmanship tonight.
Coach: Rule 10 (freedom of movement)
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 11:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Off Guard ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Rule 10
Mentioning a rule number to a coach always works for me, especially Rule 4, Rule 9, and rule 10. Many coaches believe that there are hundreds of basketball rules (not just ten), and are surprised that we can name a rule number without looking it up. It puts them off guard for a split second and by the time they come up with a retort, I'm all the way down the other end of the court, out of range, leaving the coach scratching his head.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 29, 2015 at 11:47am.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 12:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I totally agree. And phrases only work if you understand why you are saying them. I cannot use your phrase and it automatically work unless I really understand why I am saying this or if I deliver it correctly.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Mentioning a rule number to a coach always works for me, especially Rule 4, Rule 9, and rule 10. Many coaches believe that there are hundreds of basketball rules (not just ten), and are surprised that we can name a rule number without looking it up. It puts them off guard for a split second and by the time they come up with a retort, I'm all the way down the other end of the court, out of range, leaving the coach scratching his head.
Make sure you carry extra books with you so you can throw it at the coach when you tell him what rule it is.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 12:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Little Learning Is A Dangerous Thing (Alexander Pope, 1709) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Make sure you carry extra books with you so you can throw it at the coach when you tell him what rule it is.
Many coaches around here attend a new rules meeting hosted by our local board. This invariably leads to statements like, "Hey BillyMac, that's a point of emphasis this year. You have to call that".

Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 12:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hacked ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Hey Mark Padgett? Why are you posting under Dad's username?

Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 01:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Works Almost Every Time ...

Quote:
Mentioning a rule number to a coach always works for me ... Many coaches believe that there are hundreds of basketball rules (not just ten), and are surprised that we can name a rule number without looking it up. It puts them off guard for a split second and by the time they come up with a retort, I'm all the way down the other end of the court, out of range, leaving the coach scratching his head.
No need to quote book, chapter, and verse, just the rule number:

Coach (irritated, from across the gymnasium): "Hey BillyMac, that's a travel."
BillyMac (calmly, moving closer to the coach)): "No coach, check out rule four."
Coach (perplexed): Crickets chirping.

And... scene.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 29, 2015 at 01:35pm.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No need to quote book, chapter, and verse, just the rule number:

Coach (irritated, from across the gymnasium): "Hey BillyMac, that's a travel."
BillyMac (calmly, moving closer to the coach)): "No coach, check out rule four."
Coach (perplexed): Crickets chirping.

And... scene.
I would never say this. To me, this is condescending and would only escalate the issue. As has been mentioned previously, treat them like an adult.

"He released the ball before his pivot foot returned to the floor." I answered his question, told him what I saw, and explained the rule. Who cares what the rule number is?
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I would never say this. To me, this is condescending and would only escalate the issue. As has been mentioned previously, treat them like an adult.

"He released the ball before his pivot foot returned to the floor." I answered his question, told him what I saw, and explained the rule. Who cares what the rule number is?
There was no question . . . which begs the question if any answer was appropriate/necessary . .
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
There was no question . . . which begs the question if any answer was appropriate/necessary . .

If they don't ask a questions we don't have to answer BUT . . .

1) if they keep talking or escalate because I don't manage a situation that may have to be explained later too.

2) You better not be planning on giving a ABS tech until the coach and I have addressed his concern or at least the fact that I heard him and he's accumulating.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 06:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Escalate The Issue ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
To me, this is condescending and would only escalate the issue.
Thirty five years. Technicals on high school varsity coaches? I could probably count on two hands, even if I were missing a few fingers. Ejections? Maybe one? So I'm not usually escalating any situations in regard to game management with coaches.

Of course, with headful of gray hair, after being around the block a few times, and attending a few rodeos, I'm sure that I can get away with stuff that younger, less experienced officials couldn't get away with.

Also, I was talking about running by the coach, making a short statement, not standing there having a conversation. I should have been clearer on that point.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 30, 2015 at 07:36pm.