The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 16, 2015, 01:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Not surprised Hess got brought back. Coaches say they don't want big time referees working every night, but they want those guys on all their games. Rich get richer.
Coaches don't want those officials working elsewhere every night. They should be resting when not working that coach's games.
Old Mon Nov 16, 2015, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Only going by what he said. I am torn he had those subconscious feelings towards another human being. Definitely not Christian like.

Btw I am 8 years into this crazy game. High school and woman's college. I wanted to check my history thanks for doing it for me much appreciated bro.
Old Mon Nov 16, 2015, 02:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
Only going by what he said. I am torn he had those subconscious feelings towards another human being. Definitely not Christian like.

Btw I am 8 years into this crazy game. High school and woman's college. I wanted to check my history thanks for doing it for me much appreciated bro.
There are a lot folks out there who don't display acceptable behavior towards other individuals. Sometimes it may involve bigotry, other times folks are just a-holes. Based on the stories I've heard, he is just an a-hole a lot of the time.
Old Mon Nov 16, 2015, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

How do you know he's a Christian? What does religion have to do with anything?

Your grammar skills are lacking, and your posting history shows that you need some work. However, do share with us what state and conferences you officiate in.

Last edited by SC Official; Mon Nov 16, 2015 at 03:33pm.
Old Mon Nov 16, 2015, 03:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Wow I am very disappointed some my fellow officials supporting a racist. It is really upsetting my right now.
If he is or if he isn't is not my concern. He said something insensitive and served a rather hefty price. If he has reconciled with his supervisors, that is on them. There job might be on the line, not anyone here is in that situations.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 16, 2015, 03:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Individuals can be racist and still work with people they are racist against. I am not worried about those people as much as I am worried about a system that is in place that actually does the actual discrimination. Heck if you want to go there, why are the officials not more of a reflection of the actual people playing the game? That is a bigger issue I would have than what one guy might have said to a fan in a unfortunate way.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 16, 2015, 07:25pm
big jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
For the record, I've never met the guy. I only know what I see of him on TV and read in news articles. From what I've seen and read, his behavior is unacceptable. Yes, that's my opinion, which obviously isn't shared by a few conference supervisors because he is working games for them.

I also think that bigjake is nuisance based upon his posting history on this forum.
Sorry you have been offended. Free country and you sure do not have to read any of my posts unless uou have nothing better to do.
Old Mon Nov 16, 2015, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Individuals can be racist and still work with people they are racist against. I am not worried about those people as much as I am worried about a system that is in place that actually does the actual discrimination. Heck if you want to go there, why are the officials not more of a reflection of the actual people playing the game? That is a bigger issue I would have than what one guy might have said to a fan in a unfortunate way.

Peace
Why are the officials who they are? They more closely reflect the greater populations of the country. Why would we expect them to be much different than the overall population from which they're drawn just because one segment of the sport is not? Should there be changes in who gets to play to better reflect the makeup of society?
Old Mon Nov 16, 2015, 11:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why are the officials who they are? They more closely reflect the greater populations of the country. Why would we expect them to be much different than the overall population from which they're drawn just because one segment of the sport is not? Should there be changes in who gets to play to better reflect the makeup of society?
Well this is a deeper conversation and we can have it, but I do no think most would be rational enough to have such a conversation. But I would expect there to be more representation of the participants in the sport, not necessarily to reflect what the society just looks like. And the society is all not one group of people and certainly not the people that play the sport of basketball. Again, just an observation, not a big deal and is not going to change with the current situation of who makes these decisions.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 16, 2015, 11:29pm
beware big brother

Quote:
But I would expect there to be more representation of the participants in the sport, not necessarily to reflect what the society just looks like.

Peace
Why would you expect that? The skill set needed to play and officiate are not necessarily the same. Neither are a number of other variables that would cause one to become a player or an official. Therefore, there is no logical reason to assume a priori that the officials and participants of any particular sport would or should come from the same racial, ethnic, religious, or any other category or group used to describe people.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2015, 07:28pm
Ok is the new good

His Cousin Bo Borowski is also back!
Old Tue Nov 17, 2015, 11:05pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
His Cousin Bo Borowski is also back!
You mean future Final Four official Bo Boroski?
Old Tue Nov 17, 2015, 11:54pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
You mean future Final Four official Bo Boroski?

Boroski is a pretty good official in his own right, and he is very tight with JD, so I would imagine you will be correct in the near future.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2015, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If he is or if he isn't is not my concern. He said something insensitive and served a rather hefty price. If he has reconciled with his supervisors, that is on them. There job might be on the line, not anyone here is in that situations.

Peace
Here are my questions/thought:
Was Hess suspended for talking to a fan, for calling Mit a nationality that he isn't (which is ignorant), is being called Egyptian a slight, is all name calling wrong by an official directed toward a fan? What message do you think the league was sending by suspending him?
What if he had just said: I'd like to see your a__ call this game? Was it because the fan is wealthy?
I ask these questions, because you should have a reason to band someone from a job...
I don't know Hess at all, so maybe he has a history?
Personally, I find more fault with him having rabbit ears, than what he said in this particular instance!

Last edited by Refhoop; Wed Nov 18, 2015 at 12:13am.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2015, 12:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Here are my questions/thought:
Was Hess suspended for talking to a fan, for calling Mit a nationality that he isn't (which is ignorant), is being called Egyptian a slight, is all name calling wrong by an official directed toward a fan? What message do you think the league was sending by suspending him?
What if he had just said: I'd like to see your a__ call this game? Was it because the fan is wealthy?
I ask these questions, because you should have a reason to band someone from a job...
I don't know Hess at all, so maybe he has a history?
Personally, I find more fault with him having rabbit ears, than what he said in this particular instance!
My only point was he paid a price for his actions. Not working a bunch of assignments is pretty bad. And it was only one league that suspended him, the rest from my understanding he volunteered to not work because of the controversy. And I am also sure there was more to the issue than any of us know. If they wanted him back after that, that is ultimately their business. I am not trying to suggest he should have come back or not come back. I just know sitting out when he did was pretty heavy price to pay and I know many officials that have done worse and are still officiating somewhere.

Peace