The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 04, 2015, 09:48pm
big jake

Karl hess

Wonder if he will be back next season? He is a great official and should not be black balled for one mistake. Hope he lands back as he is fun to watch.
Old Sun Jul 05, 2015, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

He should be done. He's had a few negative episodes, which shouldn't be acceptable at the D1 level.
Old Sun Jul 05, 2015, 09:21am
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jake View Post
Wonder if he will be back next season? He is a great official and should not be black balled for one mistake. Hope he lands back as he is fun to watch.
I recently was at the same place as Karl Hess and he would like to get back on the Court and is taking steps to do that. What Conferences will bring him back..need to stay tuned
Old Sun Jul 05, 2015, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Working six Final Fours gives an official a lot of leeway.

He will be back.
Old Sun Jul 05, 2015, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

He paid a significant penance last year. Hopefully he's worked on anger management and done some quality introspection. If so, I think it's time to move on and give the man a fresh shot. He is a great play caller and has tremendous experience.

He's been held accountable. Time to forgive and move on. I'm rooting for him.
Old Sun Jul 05, 2015, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
He paid a significant penance last year. Hopefully he's worked on anger management and done some quality introspection. If so, I think it's time to move on and give the man a fresh shot. He is a great play caller and has tremendous experience.

He's been held accountable. Time to forgive and move on. I'm rooting for him.
+1 #Like
Old Sun Jul 05, 2015, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Assignors want people who can get the job done without causing problems that they have to deal with.

Even if the person who doesn't cause issues is somewhat of a lesser official, my experience is that an assignor will prefer that person to the better official who takes up more of his personal time.

My opinion is that Hess had his time and didn't manage it well. It's time to move on and give others the opportunity.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sun Jul 05, 2015 at 10:53pm.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2015, 03:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Yeah but it must be noted that guys at this level often are preferred over someone they do not know. So much money is at stake and the coaches often prefer guys like Hess that have the resume' and they know what they are going to get over some young whipper snapper they have never seen a day in their life. Yes supervisors want less problems, but they do not get rid of the big time vets very easily. There is a reason you see so many of them hang around for a long period of time.

So as much as I could see Hess never getting a shot again, I doubt seriously that is going to happen unless he wants to go away. Right or wrong someone trust him a lot more than they do some guy with no NCAA Tournament experience and no proven record of calling the game at that level.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 06, 2015, 01:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreck daddy View Post
Hope Mr Hess is back as it is not like he had a major crime. How many of us have not wanted to do the same thing...
Comment about an obnoxious fan's ethnicity? Not me.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2015, 02:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm not going to comment on whether he should get another chance, that's not up to me. I agree with BNR, this isn't something I've ever wanted to do.

If we expect coaches and players to maintain their composure in these intense situations, we should be expecting the same of each other. I'm guessing Karl would agree, though.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2015, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Most people have flaws, even substantial flaws. He let his come out. It was pretty bad. But, that doesn't necessarily mean he should be fired.

I know a lot of officials that have flaws...one is in my office right now in fact . I don't wish those with flaws to be fired. There are some that should be, but not for a single issue.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2015, 06:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Most people have flaws, even substantial flaws. He let his come out. It was pretty bad. But, that doesn't necessarily mean he should be fired.

I know a lot of officials that have flaws...one is in my office right now in fact . I don't wish those with flaws to be fired. There are some that should be, but not for a single issue.
Flaws get people fired from all kinds of jobs. Not sure why this is any different? And it is in a sport that has a lot of ethnic people involved.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 06, 2015, 06:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I cannot even say that this does not apply to me, but it was not in the same situation. I had a fan call me something last week something that was offensive and I came real close to responding, but I thought better of it even if I would have felt better doing it.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 06, 2015, 06:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm not going to comment on whether he should get another chance, that's not up to me. I agree with BNR, this isn't something I've ever wanted to do.

If we expect coaches and players to maintain their composure in these intense situations, we should be expecting the same of each other. I'm guessing Karl would agree, though.
An ethnic/racist comment would be the last thing to come out of my mouth. First off, I just don't think that way. Secondly, I know better.

I hope he enjoys his retirement.
Old Mon Jul 06, 2015, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Flaws get people fired from all kinds of jobs. Not sure why this is any different? And it is in a sport that has a lot of ethnic people involved.

Peace
Big picture. I don't know what was said or done but most employers look at everything when deciding to hire/fire, not a single issue, unless that issue is so egregious they don't have a choice.

Have you ever been late for work? Did they fire you?