The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

This past weekend I had two in kids' travel games.

A1 is dribbling down the floor and as she gets to the three point line, pushes her defender away with her off arm to create space. I call the offensive foul, report to the table and walk down the floor (away from A's bench). Coach A follows me down the floor saying "Did you really call that offensive?" in a derogatory tone. "Yes I did coach," I say. "Did you just buy that whistle yesterday?" he says. WHACK.

He sat down and shut up the rest of the game.

Game 2:

Team A is blowing out Team B. Late in the game Team A runs a particular play successfully. Apparently Coach B took exception to Team A (thought they were running up the score?) and said something in the direction of A's bench. Next time down, Coach A says rather loudly..."Run it again if they want to talk s***!" WHACK! Coach A says "Oh, I was talking to my assistant".

I can't wait to get back to high school ball.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 05:25am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
VB fall league last week. Late in second half (20 min halves, running clock) A1 driving the lane for a layup. B1 comes across the lane and goes up for a very nice block. A1 loses his balance and his momentum takes him to the ground. B1 stands over him, glares and shouts, "Get that s%!t out of here!" I'm L. WHACK!

Coach immediately sits B1 down while spewing, "You can't do that! You gotta stay composed! What are you thinking?!"

A2 makes both FT's and A gets the ball.

B eventually lost by 1........
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

H.S. boys' tournament in October. A1 says something dumb to B1. B1 says something equally as dumb in return. Bang...now you both have something.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Coach was unhappy about the fact that it was a T since partner blew whistle, but I explained that the whistle doesn't determine the status of the ball, it's just used to announce that we are about to begin.

This is why I only blow the whistle in this situation after a timeout, intermission, or unusual delay. Some officials do it on every throw-in, and as you can see, sometimes this is the unintended result. If your mechanics manual and/or assigner directs it, then do it. Otherwise, I recommend limiting the throw-in whistles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
This is why I only blow the whistle in this situation after a timeout, intermission, or unusual delay. Some officials do it on every throw-in ...

I recommend limiting the throw-in whistles.
This.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Coach had already been seatbelted earlier after chirping the entire game. He jumps off the bench and yells, "That's a foul!"

Bye-bye, coach. Enjoy your suspension and $300 fine.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Had a really bad coach the other night. Could have got him for ABS multiple times but my veteran partner said he was gonna take care of him (he didn't). This coach whined about EVERYTHING. At one point this coach was whining about my partner not granting the other coach a timeout during a dead ball. Partner didn't see/hear coach but it didn't matter cuz I came tableside and granted the timeout like 15 seconds later.

This dude would not shut up. I was U2 and working with two 20-year plus vets so I didn't think it was my place to have a "come to Jesus" talk with this guy. I ended up warning both coaches at the same time in the 4th quarter when they were both yapping at me when I came tableside to report a foul.

Last tech I actually called was last week during men's league. I was Trail and had ball handler in my area and had an off-ball foul where an offensive player was trying to cut and the defender impeded him. They tangled up and both fell to the floor. The defender got up first and stood over the other guy and taunted him. Probably should have pitched him but it turns out the league has a 1 tech = disqualification policy. Yay.
I have a great chance at my first 3 man HS game this year. My question is how long does it take to become comfortable calling a T when you have 2 vets who really arent taking care of misbehaving coaches?
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
This past weekend I had two in kids' travel games.

A1 is dribbling down the floor and as she gets to the three point line, pushes her defender away with her off arm to create space. I call the offensive foul, report to the table and walk down the floor (away from A's bench). Coach A follows me down the floor saying "Did you really call that offensive?" in a derogatory tone. "Yes I did coach," I say. "Did you just buy that whistle yesterday?" he says. WHACK.

He sat down and shut up the rest of the game.

Game 2:

Team A is blowing out Team B. Late in the game Team A runs a particular play successfully. Apparently Coach B took exception to Team A (thought they were running up the score?) and said something in the direction of A's bench. Next time down, Coach A says rather loudly..."Run it again if they want to talk s***!" WHACK! Coach A says "Oh, I was talking to my assistant".

I can't wait to get back to high school ball.
Those are two great stories. They are all great yet these two were awesome.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
H.S. boys' tournament in October. A1 says something dumb to B1. B1 says something equally as dumb in return. Bang...now you both have something.
Thank heaven trash talking is rare here. I have great hearing. Are the kids just that stupid to be so loud as to easily be heard by the officials? Or are you pretty close to hot spots (players) when you notice some talking going on?
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

No ... don't do it

Middle school game, two very lower level teams. Kid gets the ball in the key and throws up a prayer of a shot that goes in. The 30 to 40 fans in the stands go wild. Kid is grinning ear to ear. I'm thinking it's the first basket of his life. Then he grabs the ball coming through the net, turns, and slams it down, bounding away in happiness. I think about for a half second and decide to just warn the kid. He wasn't trying to gain advantage, wasn't trying to showboat or show up the other team. He's just sooo happy. I blow whistle, tell him not to do that again, tell the coach the issue, and he tells the player to leave the ball alone after a score.

Two minutes later, he scores the second basket of his career. And he tracks the ball down again and runs partway down the court in utter glee before finally slamming the ball down. Whack. Coach laughs and gives me the "what can you do?" Shrug.

The other team then violated on both free throws.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

I don't even remember my last T. I don't think I had one on a coach last year. I think I got a couple of players but I honestly don't remember them.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 11:01am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I have a great chance at my first 3 man HS game this year. My question is how long does it take to become comfortable calling a T when you have 2 vets who really arent taking care of misbehaving coaches?
Define misbehaving. I am not going to T a coach who is in the coaches box giving either of my partners a hard time. They need to man up and take care of their own business or put up with grief all game long. On the other hand, if the coach is out on the floor, way out of the coaches box, or screaming at a partner across the floor and said partner doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to take care of the problem, I will. The point is, rookie or not, you should not be counting on your partners to handle coaches for you. If/when the coach is on your ass, and out of line, take care of business. If/when the coach is on your partners ass, then just like officiating in your primary area, let that partner handle or not handle his own business.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Define misbehaving. I am not going to T a coach who is in the coaches box giving either of my partners a hard time. They need to man up and take care of their own business or put up with grief all game long. On the other hand, if the coach is out on the floor, way out of the coaches box, or screaming at a partner across the floor and said partner doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to take care of the problem, I will. The point is, rookie or not, you should not be counting on your partners to handle coaches for you. If/when the coach is on your ass, and out of line, take care of business. If/when the coach is on your partners ass, then just like officiating in your primary area, let that partner handle or not handle his own business.
Thanks Johnny D, great advice.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 11:44am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

What's a "T"?
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
What's a "T"?
It stands for tester ie Hot mom tester.