The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw-ins (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100291-throw-ins.html)

Dave9819 Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:39pm

Throw-ins

Hello,

When determining when the throw-in ends, rule 42 section 5 states that the throw-in ends when
the passed ball touches or is legally touched by another player inbounds
the passed ball touches or is touched by a player out of bounds (except after a made basket)
the throw-in team commits a throw-in violation.

My question is this - if Team A has the ball for a throw-in, passes the ball in, and a player on Team B commits a kicking violation, does this fall under the "the passed ball touches a player in-bounds", which would cause the throw-in to end? Or, since Team B committed a violation, does that mean the throw-in never ended? Looking at this from the point of view of having an AP throw-in.

Thanks!

Camron Rust Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:51pm

Note the word "legally" in front of touched with regards to the throwin ending in the first part. Also note that touching and being touched by imply something regarding a kick...is a kick a positive act or a passive act?

deecee Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:04pm

Would a throw in end if either team commits a foul?

Mregor Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave9819 (Post 968947)
My question is this - if Team A has the ball for a throw-in, passes the ball in, and a player on Team B commits a kicking violation, does this fall under the "the passed ball touches a player in-bounds", which would cause the throw-in to end? Or, since Team B committed a violation, does that mean the throw-in never ended? Looking at this from the point of view of having an AP throw-in.

Thanks!

Throw in never ended because of the violation by Team B. Team A would have the ball for a throw in at the OOB spot nearest the kicking violation. The AP arrow would not change because of the violation by Team B and Team a would retain the arrow.

Look at it logically. If that wasn't the case, Team B would not be penalized for their kicking violation.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mregor (Post 968996)
Throw in never ended because of the violation by Team B. Team A would have the ball for a throw in at the OOB spot nearest the kicking violation. The AP arrow would not change because of the violation by Team B and Team a would retain the arrow.

Look at it logically. If that wasn't the case, Team B would not be penalized for their kicking violation.

And yet, if B were to catch the ball while OOB, it would still be a violation on B and A would get the ball but A would lose the arrow. The difference being legally touching the ball in an illegal location vs. illegally touching the ball in a legal location.

Also, we need to remember that this is test season....a lot of the questions lately are likely straight from the test. Once I realized that, I've altered my reply to be more directional than giving conclusive answers. The posters will be a lot better off understanding the rules than being given the answer so they can pass the test.

Dave9819 Wed Nov 04, 2015 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 969000)
And yet, if B were to catch the ball while OOB, it would still be a violation on B and A would get the ball but A would lose the arrow. The difference being legally touching the ball in an illegal location vs. illegally touching the ball in a legal location.

Also, we need to remember that this is test season....a lot of the questions lately are likely straight from the test. Once I realized that, I've altered my reply to be more directional than giving conclusive answers. The posters will be a lot better off understanding the rules than being given the answer so they can pass the test.

My question was not the result of taking the test - came from me reading through the rule book and reading too much/over thinking the rule.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 04, 2015 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 968992)
Would a throw in end if either team commits a foul?

Since that's not listed as one of the reasons a throw-in ends, ....

deecee Wed Nov 04, 2015 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 969008)
Since that's not listed as one of the reasons a throw-in ends, ....

Which begs the question why doesn't it end? I understand for an AP throw in but I am talking about non AP throw in.

HokiePaul Wed Nov 04, 2015 09:56am

There is a case book play that is pretty much the exact scenario -- Case Book Situation 4.42.5

bob jenkins Wed Nov 04, 2015 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 969010)
Which begs the question why doesn't it end? I understand for an AP throw in but I am talking about non AP throw in.

It "ends" in English, but it doesn't "end" for rules purposes. And, they can't just add it because of the AP issue

deecee Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 969012)
It "ends" in English, but it doesn't "end" for rules purposes. And, they can't just add it because of the AP issue

That makes sense.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 04, 2015 05:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave9819 (Post 969006)
My question was not the result of taking the test - came from me reading through the rule book and reading too much/over thinking the rule.

Fair enough. This time of year, we typically see a lot of "questions" that look a lot like test questions. That doesn't mean they all are, but some of us have been around long enough to see the patterns.

BillyMac Wed Nov 04, 2015 06:47pm

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 969011)
There is a case book play that is pretty much the exact scenario -- Case Book Situation 4.42.5

4.42.5 SITUATION: Team A is awarded an alternating-possession throw-in.
A1’s throw-in pass is illegally kicked by B2. RULING: As a result of B2’s kicking
violation, Team A is awarded a new throw-in at the designated spot nearest to
where the kicking violation (illegal touching) occurred. Since the alternating-possession
throw-in had not been contacted legally, the throw-in has not ended and
therefore, the arrow remains with Team A for the next alternating-possession
throw-in. COMMENT: The kicking violation ends the alternating-possession
throw-in and as a result, a non-alternating-possession throw-in is administered.
When the ball is legally touched on the subsequent throw-in following the kicking
violation, the arrow shall not be changed and shall remain with Team A.