The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 29, 2015, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

15-17 Officials Manual "Bump and Run"

I received the new Officials manual today and for the most part, think it is an improvement over past years. However, the "bump and run" described in Diagram 5-15 is not how I have done it over the last 20 years.

5.2.E.3 If the ball goes out of bounds in the backcourt on Centers sideline and there is a change of possession, the Center will slide down court to administer the throw-in and become the new Trail. The old Trail will move to become the new Lead and the old Lead will move down court to become the new Center. See Diagram 5-15.

The diagram shows all players in the frontcourt. The ball goes out of bounds in the backcourt on the Center's side. The old Trail goes downcourt and crosses the endline to become the new Lead making the old Center the new Trail. The old Lead slides down to the new Center.

In my experience, the old Lead would bump the old Center to the new Lead and become the new Trail. The old Trail would become the new Center. How do you "bump and run" in this sitch? Have we been doing this differently than the rest of the world in my area?
Old Thu Oct 29, 2015, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
I received the new Officials manual today and for the most part, think it is an improvement over past years. However, the "bump and run" described in Diagram 5-15 is not how I have done it over the last 20 years.

5.2.E.3 If the ball goes out of bounds in the backcourt on Centers sideline and there is a change of possession, the Center will slide down court to administer the throw-in and become the new Trail. The old Trail will move to become the new Lead and the old Lead will move down court to become the new Center. See Diagram 5-15.

The diagram shows all players in the frontcourt. The ball goes out of bounds in the backcourt on the Center's side. The old Trail goes downcourt and crosses the endline to become the new Lead making the old Center the new Trail. The old Lead slides down to the new Center.

In my experience, the old Lead would bump the old Center to the new Lead and become the new Trail. The old Trail would become the new Center. How do you "bump and run" in this sitch? Have we been doing this differently than the rest of the world in my area?
We use the mid court line. If the ball goes out in the back court and we are going the other way as you describe then the center would administer the throw in and trail would become new lead. if the ball went out in the front court and was going the other way then the lead would go over and become new trail. bump center to new lead....

Similarly, if team A is bringing ball up court and team B kncoks it out of bounds on center side...still in backcourt then the trail will go over and bump the center to lead. If team B knocked the ball out on C sideline in frontcourt then the C would become new trail and administer throw in. lead stays lead and goes over.
that's way we've always done it.
Old Fri Oct 30, 2015, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post

I wouldn't call this play a "bump and run." Once the ball is in the FC, then the official responsible for the line administers the throw-in (assuming there's no change of possession involved).

If the ball starts in the BC, and stays in the BC, then the T administers the throw-in, no matter on which sideline <-- this is the "bump and run"
Old Fri Oct 30, 2015, 04:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Midcourt Line Is A Dinosaur, Extinct ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
We use the mid court line.
Division line?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Oct 30, 2015, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Division line?
That works too....
Old Fri Oct 30, 2015, 10:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Misty Water Color Memories ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
That works too....
I'm sure that the Basketball Hall of Fame, in Springfield, Massachusetts, has a stone tablet with the following engraved, "The midcourt line separates the forecourt from the midcourt". Like the peach basket, this rule followed the dinosaurs to extinction. Speaking of dinosaurs, Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. is probably the only Forum member, besides yours truly, to work a game with a midcourt line.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 30, 2015 at 10:49pm.
Old Sun Nov 01, 2015, 11:04am
Administrator

Quote:
I'm sure that the Basketball Hall of Fame, in Springfield, Massachusetts, has a stone tablet with the following engraved, "The midcourt line separates the forecourt from the midcourt". Like the peach basket, this rule followed the dinosaurs to extinction. Speaking of dinosaurs, Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. is probably the only Forum member, besides yours truly, to work a game with a midcourt line.

I would be willing to bet that Mark Padgett would be the third person on the Forum to remember forecourts and midcourts.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Nov 01, 2015, 12:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And, Where Are My Glasses ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I would be willing to bet that Mark Padgett would be the third person on the Forum to remember forecourts and midcourts.
Remember? I'd be willing to bet that, at his age, Mark Padgett can't remember what he ate for breakfast this morning.

Now, where are my keys?

Old Sun Nov 01, 2015, 03:17pm
Administrator

Quote:
Remember? I'd be willing to bet that, at his age, Mark Padgett can't remember what he ate for breakfast this morning.

Now, where are my keys?

What do yo mean I am not wearing any pants?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Nov 01, 2015, 03:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Jump Start ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
What do yo mean I am not wearing any pants?