Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 25, 2015, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
"I GOT SHOOTER! I GOT SHOOTER!"
99% of the time this is well before the shooter begins the try (and 84.6 % of the time it's before s/he even has the ball). It's nothing.
Old Sun Oct 25, 2015, 12:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Citation ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
...84.6 % of the time it's before s/he even has the ball.
84.6 %? Reference please.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Oct 25, 2015, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
84.6 %? Reference please.
Significant digits can help you in physics class. Not so much in the forum....

We've been talking a lot about disconcertion here and it has been a good discussion. That said, I think it's important to point out that we shouldn't go looking for it. Deference is the better part of valor. I've called it once in seven years; an opponent behind the arc decided to overtly clap just as the free-thrower was about to release. Obvious. No one argued. Disconcertion is a call that should pop out at you.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
...since the rule says, "No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower", can a player not on the floor commit a disconcertion violation?
If they aren't on the floor, they aren't a player, they are a team member or substitute. I assume you are talking about a team member of the opposing team sitting on the bench.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 03:55pm
beware big brother

Quote:

If you are playing HS basketball and this affects your ability to shoot a free throw, you should really think about taking up another sport.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 11:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Distraction ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
If you are playing HS basketball and this affects your ability to shoot a free throw, you should really think about taking up another sport.
In my high school game, if an opponent is screaming this from a marked lane space, or from behind the arc, or, possibly, even from the bench, while the free throw shooter is in the act of shooting, and if I feel that this is a distraction to the free throw shooter, I will call the delayed violation every time. If the free throw misses, we're shooting again.

9.1.3 SITUATION D: ... The free thrower is entitled to protection from being distracted. It is the opponent’s responsibility to avoid disconcerting the free thrower.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Oct 26, 2015 at 11:08pm.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In my high school game, if an opponent is screaming this from a marked lane space, or from behind the arc, or, possibly, even from the bench, while the free throw shooter is in the act of shooting, and if I feel that this is a distraction to the free throw shooter, I will call the delayed violation every time. If the free throw misses, we're shooting again.

9.1.3 SITUATION D: ... The free thrower is entitled to protection from being distracted. It is the opponent’s responsibility to avoid disconcerting the free thrower.
And in the real world, how often does that happen?
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 01:11pm
This IS My Social Life

I Ignore Quite a Few Other Rules, Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
That's why, whenever a defender appears to disconcert a free thrower I NEVER CALL IT.
Instead, I kill the play and ask the free thrower if he was disconcerted. If he says "No", I go to the AP arrow. If he says "Yes", I ask the coach for a sub and counsel the player to go straight to the locker room and quit.
Happens maybe three or four times a year.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 01:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
And in the real world, how often does that happen?
The "screaming" part, never. But the top 2 guys raising their arms to distract the shooter, or repeatedly asking "who's got shooter" as he begins his shooting motion, quite often.

I address it the first time it happens, then don't have to worry about it anymore.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 01:30pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The "screaming" part, never. But the top 2 guys raising their arms to distract the shooter, or repeatedly asking "who's got shooter" as he begins his shooting motion, quite often.

I address it the first time it happens, then don't have to worry about it anymore.
Or, as I wrote before, yelling, "I'VE GOT SHOOTER!" LOUD, right as they shoot. Yep, I've called it. IMO, they know what they're doing and they're doing it for the specific purpose of throwing the shooter off.

Last edited by grunewar; Wed Oct 28, 2015 at 01:33pm.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 02:15pm
We don't rent pigs

All this discussion I think supports my point that no matter what the officials ruled on this play, it is impossible to sit here and say they were wrong. This "question" should not have been on the test.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

A common scenario that I have observed regarding disconcertion of the FT'er is this ( A1 is the FT shooter, B1 is occupying the lane space nearest to A1):

A1 is preparing to shoot the FT, then A1 starts to yak at B1 while A1 is preparing (going thru the normal pre-shot ritual with the ball) to shoot the FT--saying things like "you can't keep up with me", "stop fouling me", or "you my lunch". Then B1 in reply yaks back at A1 saying something like "you lucky the ref bailed you out cos I smacked your shot" or "you could never make a FT".

In my view this was what I'd call "invited disconcertion" that was precipitated by A1's verbal remarks to B1. I do not penalize B1 for this, I rather just tell them both to "knock it off". A1 does not get a substitute FT if shot missed.

Alternatively, I have seen B1, B2 perform a dramatic sneeze sound when A1 is preparing to do the FT's. In this latter case, I have enough common sense to know that B1, B2 are conducting pre-meditated disconcertions. If FT was missed I award a substitute FT to A1.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
On topic, but different twist...has anyone ever called or considered calling disconcertion on the opposing coach for loudly calling for a timeout after the ball is at the disposal of the shooter?

I came close one time when the shooter was half way through his pre-shot routine (couple of bounces, hold the ball for a second and one more bounce before shooting) and the coach started yelling for a time out. The catch was that it distracted the shooter enough that he felt that he needed to restart his routine. He stopped, looked at the coach, looked at me and when he realized we weren't stopping play, he restarted his routine. In my opinion, the coach wasn't trying to disconcert him, but he had done so nonetheless. My 10 second count might have been interrupted or slowed by the whole ordeal, but I still came close. Had I made it to 10 or the shooter missed, I was prepared to call disconcertion. Irony is that we would have been able to grant the time out at that point.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

How about when a Coach or another personnel on the bench that yell "Box Out" on the 1st of 2 Free Throws? hmmmm
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
A1 is preparing to shoot the FT, then A1 starts to yak at B1 while A1 is preparing (going thru the normal pre-shot ritual with the ball) to shoot the FT--saying things like "you can't keep up with me", "stop fouling me", or "you my lunch".
If he's saying this stuff loud enough for me to hear it, that's an easy unsporting T for trash talking. Then he can shoot his FTs with no one on the lane, after which we will go to the other end to shoot the technical.