The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 23, 2015, 02:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
If only I had that option. Almost all of our game assignments in SC are doubleheaders, girls then boys. Just the way it's always been done. As eluded to, it's just more economic from the schools' perspective. Also, if the girls played on their own night, no fans would come. Seriously.

I would love to see the day where I have the option of not working girls basketball. Unfortunately, that won't happen anytime soon.
Well they do not schedule or assign games in that fashion here for the most part. We work only boys on a night or only girls on another night. And if they ever do a "pack the place night" where they might play a boys and girls game, they assign two sets of officials.

For the record, not many come out for girls games anyway and that still does not change how they schedules run. Also girls basketball starts a week earlier and their playoffs start earlier based on class in some cases up to two weeks before the boys playoffs start. And I do not think a good girls team wants to play the same school of another school that does not have an equally comparable team outside of conference play. Girls play in their own tournaments and own shootouts so not sure that would be practical here. I only work boys basketball so this is only a school issue for most of us here rather than an assigning issue.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 23, 2015, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

In my area we usually (almost always) work a double header. Most of the schools have all contest between them on the same night...varsity in the main gym...JV in a second gym...possibly freshmen in a third (yes, many schools have that many gyms) though freshmen sometimes play on a different night.

In the secondary gym there will be JVB-JVG double header and in the main gym there will be a VG-VB double header. Two crews assigned to work both games (typically two whistles for JV and three whistles for V).

I would not work for the rates in Mississippi.
Old Sat Oct 24, 2015, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I think it is pretty easy to argue there is a basis for *some* differential -- comp for a game essentially includes time to get ready -- making sure the uniform and gear is ready, getting dressed, stretched, in the mind set, travel time (not just the mileage) and so forth. Much more efficient economically to do a double header than to do games on two separate nights. (I'm not *remotely* arguing that a double-header paying only 141% of a single game (55 vs 78) makes sense, only that there is some logic to getting paid more if having to make the effort for a single game -- and it sure sounds better to think about it as extra for doing only one game instead of less for the second game of a double header.) What "some" *is* reasonable I won't attempt to define.
While I don't agree with the specific amounts, the concept is valid. You only have to travel to/from the site once regardless of how many games you do. Building the travel amount into the fee is not uncommon and not unreasonable. They could just pay $23 per game regardless of the number then pay $32 for getting there. Again, I think the numbers are off, but not the concept.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Schools half the time cry poor, which in our state they are.

Peace
It's not usually a matter of schools being "poor". It's a matter of them not wanting to fundraise more. Most places I'm aware of, expenses of extracurricular sports come from things like participation fees, gate fees, concessions, fan apparel, and fundraising. It does not come from the same pool of money as funding normal school operations does.

They figure if they can chop the officials fees, they don't have to beg for money as much in the community.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 03:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
It's not usually a matter of schools being "poor". It's a matter of them not wanting to fundraise more. Most places I'm aware of, expenses of extracurricular sports come from things like participation fees, gate fees, concessions, fan apparel, and fundraising. It does not come from the same pool of money as funding normal school operations does.

They figure if they can chop the officials fees, they don't have to beg for money as much in the community.
Well that might depend on your state and how schools are funded. And it might not apply to the private schools that get no such state funding. We have a funding issue in Illinois and the schools are not getting money from the state as they are promised. There are all kinds of schools trying to complain about payment to officials or upgrading facilities because they are not financially strapped. It is one thing to not fund raise, but not everything is in the budget when we have teachers complaining they are not paid enough or have other rights as a result. I suspect that officials are way down on the list of priorities right or wrong.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
..., but not everything is in the budget when we have teachers complaining they are not paid enough....

When you only work 9 months out of the year, you can't expect the taxpayers to pay you for 12.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 04:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
When you only work 9 months out of the year, you can't expect the taxpayers to pay you for 12.
I am not trying to make a political statement here, I am pointing out that there are other needs that schools claim to have. Some schools would rather pay for computers than play an extra $5 or $10 for an official a game. Right or wrong this is the reality when we complain about our pay.

And tax players complain when little Johnny cannot read at the right age group or cannot do other functions to get into college. So it is a little more than how many months you work, it is what you value.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 10:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Could Not Have Said It Better Myself ...

Quote:
So it is a little more than how many months you work, it is what you value.
JRutledge: As a retired middle school science teacher, you have my sincere appreciation, and thanks.

BillyMac
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Oct 26, 2015 at 10:56pm.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 11:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
JRutledge: As a retired middle school science teacher, you have my sincere appreciation, and thanks.

BillyMac
My mom is a retired professor, so I get it.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 10:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

All teachers I know cram 12 months of work into far fewer than 9.

Most unappreciated, underpaid professionals I've ever seen.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
All teachers I know cram 12 months of work into far fewer than 9.

Most unappreciated, underpaid professionals I've ever seen.
You don't know many teachers then.

I know some who do that and just as many who don't. And there lies the real problem, figuring out a way to reward the good teachers without rewarding the bad ones.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2015, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Why should a second game pay less than a first game? $23 for a varsity game?

We assign DH in various sports here -- not often basketball. But when someone works 2 baseball or 2 softball games, the fee is twice the single game fee. Why wouldn't it be?
Not the case where I work in Iowa. Fees vary by conference, but I never get double for a basketball doubleheader. The big 4A conference I work in pays $75 for a single 3 person varsity game and we always just work one game. When I work smaller schools it's always a girl/boy doubleheader and we only get $90 working 3 person. Needless to say I try to work as few games as possible at the smaller schools. They only pay travel to the person who drives the farthest so if I'm not working with my regular guys who live in my area I could drive 50 miles each way and get no travel pay. Not worth it.

All HS baseball dates in Iowa are doubleheaders so there really isn't a one game fee. Generally $110 for a varsity doubleheader which I think is still low considering how long they can take.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2015, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

re:

Coast basketball officials vote to end strike | SunHerald
Old Thu Oct 29, 2015, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefAHallic View Post
From the article:

"The state's basketball referees are the lowest paid among all officials who work for the MHSAA."

And at $40 per game, or even $45 if they got that raise the MHSAA was offering, I'd venture to guess they're the lowest paid officials in the COUNTRY. Heck, we get $45 per game for MIDDLE SCHOOL. Granted, it's 2 man, but still...
Old Thu Oct 29, 2015, 05:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"It's Good To Be The King" ...

Connecticut game fees for 2015-2016: Varsity Fee: $94.63; Sub Varsity Fee: $61.39. Two person games. No mileage.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)