The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 07, 2015, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
You work harder doing a 2 person sophomore boys game than you do working a 3 person boys varsity game.

"Work" isn't just how much you run. I think a lot of 3p varsity officials feel they work pretty darn hard.

Don't forget that varsity officials don't get home until 10pm most nights; that also deserves compensation.

At the end of the day it's like that line from the movie Moneyball: "It's not about the money. It's about what the money says."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Nov 08, 2015, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
WTF?!?!?

I've been in this referee business for quite some time, and I don't recall EVER being scheduled to only work half a game.

Am I alone in this?
It usually happens at smaller schools that don't have enough players to play full JV games. They have to use some of the would-be JV players during the varsity game and they are limited to six quarters a night, so they don't have enough quarters left to play a full JV game.

Some of them will just play one JV quarter. Some only have 7-8 players total and will only play the varsity game with no JV game at all.

This is the exception more than the rule. The vast majority of nights are JV/V doubleheaders.
Old Sun Nov 08, 2015, 01:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't blame the jv guys for grumbling; why should they subsidize the varsity guys?. I work a lot of varsity but still work some lower level stuff too and I wouldn't work a 2 person HS jv game for $45. You work harder doing a 2 person sophomore boys game than you do working a 3 person boys varsity game.
More running maybe, but not more scrutiny or even pressure. There is a lot more to doing a varsity game than there is often doing a lower level game, which might not include all areas of the rules or administrative situations.

I think the varsity should be paid much more every single time. When a lower level game is scheduled on its own, it often does not have as many fans and in some cases is not even a charge to attend. That might be different in Mississippi or other states/areas, but that is pretty much the case here.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
More running maybe, but not more scrutiny or even pressure. There is a lot more to doing a varsity game than there is often doing a lower level game, which might not include all areas of the rules or administrative situations.

I think the varsity should be paid much more every single time. When a lower level game is scheduled on its own, it often does not have as many fans and in some cases is not even a charge to attend. That might be different in Mississippi or other states/areas, but that is pretty much the case here.

Peace
I personally find it easier to work a varsity game with 3 officials. Yes there is more scrutiny but I don't stress out about that, it's still just a high school basketball game not life or death. Varsity games generally have a better flow and are more predictable in my opinion because the level of play is better. JV games are often a real train wreck. As for the number of fans in the stands who cares? I rarely hear them anyway.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 10:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

First Louisiana now Mississippi

It's a train wreck nobody cares about. Tell me the next time the JV standings are posted in the local paper. Who won the JV state championship?

Those that do them where I live do so cause they can work 8 dates at the local HS, be done by about 7, and run out the door as fast as they can.

If it were up to me I'd cut their pay another $7.50 each and give each of the varsity officials $5 more.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 11:02pm
Stubborn Member

Perhaps going to extremes will help...

If I blow a call at a 3rd grade church league game I may get a little flack, but by the end of the game nobody really cares.

If I blow a call during a varsity game I could very well get a ton of flack, and some people may remember it for years.

Oh, and the chances of your screw-up being caught on video at a varsity game is much... MUCH... higher.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Paying sub-varsity officials anything near what varsity officials are paid on the basis that "2-man crews work harder" is absolutely laughable.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2015, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Paying sub-varsity officials anything near what varsity officials are paid on the basis that "2-man crews work harder" is absolutely laughable.
If the 2 vs 3 logic were true, then HS officials in 2-person states should make more than college officials.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2015, 02:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I personally find it easier to work a varsity game with 3 officials. Yes there is more scrutiny but I don't stress out about that, it's still just a high school basketball game not life or death. Varsity games generally have a better flow and are more predictable in my opinion because the level of play is better. JV games are often a real train wreck. As for the number of fans in the stands who cares? I rarely hear them anyway.
When I am talking about scrutiny, I am not talking about fans. Fans are one thing, but your game on TV is another. Your game on live TV is another as well. You working a game with a kid that is going to some of the top institutions in college is another. You having kids that will likely be in the NBA like Derrick Rose or Jahlil Okafor and Jabari Parker is another. I have been fortunate to work some live TV games and the main scrutiny did not come from the fans. The main scrutiny came from fellow officials who wanted to be there and thought you should not be there. Or they were wondering why they were not there. And as Rich said, I have never had a Tweet about a game I was working at the JV level. I had a media person use my name during a State Final game where I was mostly in the background.

Also if you are talking about a physical strain, I run a lot more in varsity 3 person games than I do during a 2 person freshman game and a sophomore game (which are prelim games here). Bigger, faster and stronger, it is that simple. It is different chasing around 6'8" players over 6'0 players. And every call you make with those bigger players are scrutinized by folks that are not just fans. Work a big Thanksgiving and Christmas Tournament, people know you were there. This myth that no one knows you are there is no longer. That might have worked when there was no YouTube, but not when many games are on streaming video or live feeds.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 10, 2015, 02:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

And on top of Rut's excellent post, let me say this:

They aren't paying me for how much I run. They're paying me to be in the right position, have good judgment, and know the rules. They're paying me for whatever intangibles I have that let me call games at the level I call.

Anyhow, I just went through my schedule for the season today now that football is behind me.

Finally....the entire year is 3-person. No looking back now. Been a long time coming here.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2015, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Finally....the entire year is 3-person. No looking back now. Been a long time coming here.

I asked my friend Paul Ryan to use his new Speaker of the House muscle to make that happen in his district for you, Rich.

You're welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk