The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 19, 2015, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

1st Association Meeting

We have our first meeting tonight where I am taking over as president of our local association. I pretty much have an agenda planned, but have been racking my brain with important info/messages that should be said at the first meeting. Here are the main points I'm looking at right now:

1. Professionalism (look the part, arrive on time, etc.)
2. Communication (crew, players, coaches)
3. Position on the court (best position to referee a play)

Of course we have a lot of topics we go further in depth on throughout the course of the year, but does anyone think there is other info that is critical to communicate on day 1? The high school season doesn't even start here for another month or so, and I'd like to really focus on teaching and training during the early middle school season.

Any ideas/advice you might have would be appreciated, thanks!
Old Mon Oct 19, 2015, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
We have our first meeting tonight [snip] does anyone think there is other info that is critical to communicate on day 1?
Greet new members; tell them what they can expect their first year; educate them about the procedures for getting games (with contact information about assigners) and moving up.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2015, 12:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
We have our first meeting tonight where I am taking over as president of our local association. I pretty much have an agenda planned, but have been racking my brain with important info/messages that should be said at the first meeting. Here are the main points I'm looking at right now:

1. Professionalism (look the part, arrive on time, etc.)
2. Communication (crew, players, coaches)
3. Position on the court (best position to referee a play)

Of course we have a lot of topics we go further in depth on throughout the course of the year, but does anyone think there is other info that is critical to communicate on day 1? The high school season doesn't even start here for another month or so, and I'd like to really focus on teaching and training during the early middle school season.

Any ideas/advice you might have would be appreciated, thanks!
In my associations, the rules interpreters and assignors are responsible for 2 & 3. The president addresses #1 as it pertains to representing the organization, sets the agenda, and runs the meetings.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2015, 01:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Be sure to inform them of the first rule of basketball.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2015, 02:50pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

First meeting is usually a good time to go over the new rule changes/interpretations for the season.

Even if your state has an on-line rules meeting for officials to view, as mine does, there will likely be questions. Think about our spirited discussion on the free throw POE.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Oct 19, 2015, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
First meeting is usually a good time to go over the new rule changes/interpretations for the season.

Even if your state has an on-line rules meeting for officials to view, as mine does, there will likely be questions. Think about our spirited discussion on the free throw POE.
Yes, I didn't put that in the original post, but that'll actually be a decent chunk of the meeting time-
Old Mon Oct 19, 2015, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

A word of advice: Don't overburden them with details, keep it open, talk about your goals for this season (e.g., reducing the number of bad reports from coaches, increasing the number of good reports/reviews from coaches)Be sure to invite dialogue Q & A.
Likely questions will be:
1) how much will I get paid for games?
2) how does the payment system work and how long does it take to get paid by check or online deposit?
3) when and how do i get a raise in pay?
4) how do you determine who will be the "referee" and who the "umpire"?
etc...
Above all, initiate and maintain the Q & A session--as one poster wrote, let experts in 'communication' and 'rules' do their own presentations.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2015, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I agree, the group dynamic is superior to a solitary online type of rules meeting.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2015, 04:04pm
AremRed

Make sure you show them Freddy's 67-page uniform requirements slideshow.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2015, 05:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Addition To List ...

Meeting schedule, and meeting attendance attendance rules, and penalties for missing, or being tardy, for meetings.

Payment schedule (dues, insurance, fees, fines, etc.), and penalties if not paid, or if late.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Oct 19, 2015 at 06:30pm.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2015, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Let everyone know the first date for games and/or scrimmages.
Make an announcement of the standards used in your group for uniforms. Thin zebra stripe shirts, thick stripe, side panel or not, patches needed or alowed, etc.
By when do member need to complete their preseason rules exam, if one is given?
By when do people need to update their calendars with open and closed dates & times?
What is the pay rate for each level of contest?
When will people be paid for games?
Any other tasks refs must complete before the season?
Old Mon Oct 19, 2015, 06:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Don't forget to tell them where they can get the directory of hot moms.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2015, 06:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Single ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Don't forget to tell them where they can get the directory of hot moms.
Hot, single, moms. We're not home wreckers.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Oct 19, 2015, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hot, single, moms. We're not home wreckers.
Absolutely. Pretty sure I've missed multiple dunks in pre-game because I'm creepily scanning the crowd...

Thanks all for the feedback!
Old Mon Oct 19, 2015, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Until last week I'd have told you that there is not much to talk about this year. But then we were introduced to the great NFHS semi-circle debacle of 2015, and now there's plenty to talk about.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I agree with other posters that the President should stay away from the minutia. Professionalism is a great opening topic, but I think perception is an even better one. Emphasize that how an official is perceived is reality, so check the ego at the door. And make sure they recognize that 75% of an official's reputation, at least within the association (where it counts) is based on off-court stuff (timeliness, honesty, communications with the assignor, keeping your Arbiter blocks up to date, film study, etc.).