The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 08, 2015, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

start of game

As the players are entering the court for the start of the game the crew recognizes that A1 and A2 have different color undershirts / leg compression sleeves.

It will obviously take some time for them to fix the issue rather than just a head / wrist band. The time needed to fix the issue would create a delay to the starting time of the game.

Do you tell the coach I need a sub and consequently administer a T for changing a starter under the 10 min mark prior to the game starting?
Old Thu Oct 08, 2015, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpletak View Post
As the players are entering the court for the start of the game the crew recognizes that A1 and A2 have different color undershirts / leg compression sleeves.

It will obviously take some time for them to fix the issue rather than just a head / wrist band. The time needed to fix the issue would create a delay to the starting time of the game.

Do you tell the coach I need a sub and consequently administer a T for changing a starter under the 10 min mark prior to the game starting?
Undershrts and leg sleeves do not fall under the same rules. Undershirts must match the jersey color. Leg sleeves be a color approved under 3-5-3 and must be uniform between teammates.

As for enforcement, read 3-2-2a and it will answer your question. A coach may change a starter due to illegal apparel without penalty.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2015, 03:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It is not a technical foul to have an undershirt that does not match the jersey, they just cannot play. They did not change anything in the book which that T is actually for. You just send them off and get a sub and move on. And if you notice when they are doing the announcements, you can get this taken care of without any incident or delay. This is why you watch players warm-up and announcements to catch this situation early.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 08, 2015, 05:33pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
...read 3-2-2a and it will answer your question
This works especially great if the referee has previously asked the coach the two operative questions (forget all the other crap unless it's truly necessary) in the pre-game meeting: "Coach, are your team members' uniforms and equipment legal and worn properly, and will your participants exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest" (2-4-5).
He answers "Yes", and the consequence, such as, "Coach, there is no penalty, but I need a substitute right now for #xx due to his illegal 'xxx'" is on him. Cf. 3-2-2a, previously cited.
Always worked for me. And early in the season, it's common.
We've just gotta get everybody to "get the memo" and clean these things up the very first game, and not be intimidated by any coach who thinks it's superfluous because he himself didn't "get the memo." Remember, rule changes are precipitated by coaches, not officials. It's their problem when we enforce what they themselves have come up with, not ours. Right?
Just do it.
Agree?

Last edited by Freddy; Fri Oct 09, 2015 at 08:30am.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2015, 09:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
This works especially great if the referee has previously asked the coach the two operative questions (forget all the other crap unless it's truly necessary) in the pre-game meeting: "Coach, are your team members' uniforms and equipment legal and worn properly, and will your participants exhibit proper sporting behavior trhoughout the contest" (5-4-5).
He answers "Yes", and the consequence, such as, "Coach, there is no penalty, but I need a substitute right now for #xx due to his illegal 'xxx'" is on him. Cf. 3-2-2a, previously cited.
Always worked for me. And early in the season, it's common.
We've just gotta get everybody to "get the memo" and clean these things up the very first game, and not be intimidated by any coach who thinks it's superfluous because he himself didn't "get the memo." Remember, rule changes are precipitated by coaches, not officials. It's their problem when we enforce what they themselves have come up with, not ours. Right?
Just do it.
Agree?
I don't agree that I need to ask that question to enforce the rule.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Oct 09, 2015 at 10:40am.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2015, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't agree that I need to that question to enforce the rule.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Same here. Sometimes kids get dressed and their coaches can't see them before the players put on their warm-ups. Just say, "Coach, number XX can't play with that undershirt/arm sleeve/leg sleeve."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Oct 09, 2015, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes.

No.
Old Fri Oct 09, 2015, 05:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No.
3-2-1 At least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time, each team
shall supply the official scorer with the name and number of each team member
and designate the five starting players. Failure to comply results in a technical foul

3-2-2 After the 10-minute time limit specified in Article 1, a team is
charged with a maximum of one technical foul regardless of how many
infractions of the following are committed (see 10-1-2 Penalty):
a. Changing a designated starter, unless necessitated by illness, injury, illegal
equipment or apparel, etc., or to attempt a technical-foul free throw

b. Adding a name to the team member list.
c. Requiring the scorer to change a team member’s or player’s number in the
scorebook.
d. Requiring a player to change to the number in the scorebook.
e. Having identical numbers on team members and/or players.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)