The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 28, 2015, 11:09am
This IS My Social Life

Fashion Police Lesson

For those of you who teach this stuff to others or who enjoy alternative modes of learning for yourself, here's a link to an updated Fashion Police lesson. In two downloadable formats.
Feedback invited.
2015/16 Fashion Police
Old Tue Sep 29, 2015, 08:36pm
AremRed

Can't wait to share this 64 slide PowerPoint and 64 page PDF with my association! They are gonna love this.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2015, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

I read with much interest--and dare I say entertainment--your post on Fashion Police and the related PDF images in the hyperlink.
With regard to strict enforcement of "Rule 3-5-a & c" : what is your take on a player (male) wearing a pink "breast cancer" logo wristband if the predominant color of their uni's are black and gold? Keep in mind that all the team players wear it for one game and it is done in due commemoration of this rather unique cause and supported by a fundraiser held at the school for that particular day only for which all the players purchased the pink wristbands in order to donate to this cause.
Do you allow the wristband (as a one off) or do you rule against--order its removal? Just curious.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Wed Sep 30, 2015 at 05:06pm. Reason: spelling
Old Wed Sep 30, 2015, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I read with much interest--and dare I say entertainment--your post on Fashion Police and the related PDF images in the hyperlink.

With regard to strict enforcement of "Rule 3-5-a & c" : what is your take on a player (male) wearing a pink "breast cancer" logo wristband if the predominant color of their uni's are black and gold? Keep in mind that all the team players wear it for one game and it is done in due commemoration of this rather unique cause and supported by a fundraiser held at the school for that particular day only for which all the players purchased the pink wristbands in order to donate to this cause.

Do you allow the wristband (as a one off) or do you rule against--order its removal? Just curious.

Let 'em play. Otherwise, you are announcing to all that you are leading the war against boobs!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Sep 30, 2015, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Go to the coach / AD and ask, "You had this approved by the state, right?"

Use the correct tone to get the correct answer.
Old Fri Oct 02, 2015, 11:44pm
AremRed

Freddo I love your presentations but I could make better use of a very concise version of the same thing, perhaps something I could write on a 3x5 card and laminate. I am thinking about carrying such a card in my pocket on the court so I could whip it out if the coach has any objections. Do you think you could create such a thing?
Old Sat Oct 03, 2015, 08:21am
This IS My Social Life

Less is More

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Freddo I love your presentations but I could make better use of a very concise version of the same thing, perhaps something I could write on a 3x5 card and laminate. I am thinking about carrying such a card in my pocket on the court so I could whip it out if the coach has any objections. Do you think you could create such a thing?
SLEEVES/TIGHTS/HEADBANDS/WRISTBANDS -- single color: white, black, beige, or predominant color of the jersey; all items same color and same color for all teammates

UNDERSHIRTS/COMPRESSION SHORTS -- same as the jersey color

. . . or just make an image of the upper half of pages 26 and 27 and make a card out of that...posting and sharing that would be copyright infringement so I'll leave that up to you

Last edited by Freddy; Sat Oct 03, 2015 at 12:10pm.
Old Sat Oct 03, 2015, 10:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Not A 5x7 Index Card ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
SLEEVES/TIGHTS/HEADBANDS/WRISTBANDS/UNDERSHIRTS/COMPRESSION SHORTS -- single color: white, black, beige, or predominant color of the jersey; all items same color and same color for all teammates
For educational purposes, I don't like lumping in undershirts with sleeves, tights, headbands, and wristbands.

Undershirts are more restricted. Undershirts must be the predominate color of jersey, which may be white, black, or beige, and in fact, will be white, and only white, for the home team. Forget all the other optional colors for undershirts, there are no other options, it's limited to just one color (for that team, that night), the predominate color of the jersey.

Players can't be sitting in the locker room, pregame, deciding what color undershirt to wear, as they may with sleeves, tights, headbands, and wristbands, "Hey guys, what color wristbands should we all wear tonight, white, black, beige, or blue, our jersey color?". The undershirt color was decided as soon as they put on their visitor jersey, or, in the case of the home team, as soon as the home game was scheduled.

Also, be careful lumping in compression shorts with sleeves, tights, headbands, and wristbands. Compression shorts must be the predominate color of uniform, whatever the hell "uniform" means to the NFHS? Jersey? Shorts? Forget all the other optional colors for compression shorts, there are no other options, it's limited to just one color (for that team, that night), the predominate color of the "uniform". Color options for the compression shorts ended as soon as the players put on their "uniforms" (whatever the hell "uniform" means).

Note: I just recently discovered (thanks Freddy) that the NFHS changed the wording of the compression shorts rule from "pants" (shorts), to "uniform", last year.

Does the NFHS give us any guidance in distinguishing between compression shorts (highly restricted legal colors), and short tights (less restrictive legal color options)?

Stupid NFHS monkeys (with respect to Jurassic Referee). If they want us to enforce these "Fashion Police" rules, then they should, at least, write these rules so that they are easy to understand, remember, and enforce; and are concise enough to be written, in a large font, on AremRed's 3x5 index card.

Now it's time for me to go out for a drive, and check out the north quadrant. A fashion police officer's job is never done. As my sergeant, Phil Esterhaus, used to say,
"Let's be careful out there".

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 03, 2015 at 01:08pm.
Old Sat Oct 03, 2015, 12:11pm
This IS My Social Life

Erratta

BM is right. My previous post edited to reflect his corrections.
Old Sat Oct 03, 2015, 12:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Freddy's Dead, That's What I Said (Curtis Mayfield, 1972) ...

Quote:
UNDERSHIRTS/COMPRESSION SHORTS -- same as the jersey color
Compression shorts. Jersey? Or uniform? How does the NFHS define "uniform"?

Wouldn't it be easier to for the NFHS to refer to compression shorts as "short compression tights", allowing a few more legal color options, and at the same time clearing up any problem with officials figuring out the difference between compression shorts, and short tights?

Note: I'm not picking on Freddy, I'm picking on the NFHS for being silly monkeys. Freddy will eventually determine that trying to simplify, and figure out, the NFHS "Fashion Police" rules is like trying to figure out women. Men will never be able to accomplish either, no matter how hard we try.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 03, 2015 at 01:06pm.
Old Sat Oct 03, 2015, 02:27pm
NFHS Official

Don't compression shorts have to be under the shorts(not allowed to be exposed). if the are exposed it would considered a tight, and then they would have to meet the color restrictions.
Old Sat Oct 03, 2015, 02:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Compression Shorts Obsolete ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Don't compression shorts have to be under the shorts(not allowed to be exposed). If the are exposed it would considered a tight, and then they would have to meet the color restrictions.
Don't confuse compression shorts with undergarments (i.e., boxer shorts).

3-5-7: Compression shorts shall be a single solid color similar to the predominant color of the uniform; the length shall be above the knee. Undergarments shall not extend below the pants/skirt. See 3-6 for logo requirements.

Previous to 2014-15, the rule read: Compression shorts/tights shall be a single solid color similar to the predominant color of the pants/skirt; the length shall be above the knee. Undergarments shall not extend below the pants/skirt. See 3-6 for logo requirements.

How does the NFHS define "uniform"? Jersey? Shorts? Pants? Skirts?

Stupid NFHS monkeys.

Also, in my opinion, with the recent increase in the use of tights by players, and with recent color restriction rules on tights, the term "compression shorts" is obsolete, and should be struck from the NFHS rulebook. Recent rules regarding tights should cover all aspects of the equipment rules previously dealing with compression shorts.

Aren't compression shorts just short (above the knee) tights? Previous to 2014-15, the NFHS considered compression shorts, and tights, to be one in the same ("Compression shorts/tights").

Stupid NFHS monkeys.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 03, 2015 at 02:58pm.
Old Sat Oct 03, 2015, 02:58pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Don't compression shorts have to be under the shorts(not allowed to be exposed). if the are exposed it would considered a tight, and then they would have to meet the color restrictions.
No, 3-5-7 makes a distinction between undergarments (think "boxers") which "shall not extend below the pants/skirt" and compression shorts which "shall be above the knee."
I'm guessing that last phrase is integral. If they go past the knee, then they're probably "tights" (3-5-3a). For "tights", think "fit the bottom half of the body (Google "basketball tights" and the predominant number of images validate this, it seems).
That PowerPoint lesson pictures all these things except boxer shorts type undergarments.
I'm gonna continue working on other things now.

Last edited by Freddy; Sat Oct 03, 2015 at 03:01pm.
Old Sat Oct 03, 2015, 03:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"You're Fired" (Donald Trump, The Apprentice) ...

Quote:
I'm gonna continue working on other things now.
Like, maybe, your day job.

Old Sat Oct 03, 2015, 03:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Better Images ...

Quote:
Google "basketball tights" ...
If you don't mind, I would prefer to Google, "Yoga Pants".