The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 11, 2015, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Foul on shot; goal tend

Hey all - had an interesting call the other day in Men's league game.

A1 gets shot away then is fouled by B2. As A1's shot it on it's downward trajectory B5 then blocks it.

I called points good for the goal tend and 1 for the foul. My refs coach did not agree and said that should have only been the 2 SF.

What do you guys think?
Old Fri Sep 11, 2015, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refstar View Post

A1 gets shot away then is fouled by B2. As A1's shot it on it's downward trajectory B5 then blocks it.

I called points good for the goal tend and 1 for the foul. My refs coach did not agree and said that should have only been the 2 SF.

What do you guys think?
Good call
Old Fri Sep 11, 2015, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

correct call.
Old Fri Sep 11, 2015, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My refs coach did not agree and said that should have only been the 2 SF.

What do you guys think?
I think you know more about this rule than the "refs coach"
Old Fri Sep 11, 2015, 11:25am
Courageous When Prudent

I think you must be a new official for doubting you were correct.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old Fri Sep 11, 2015, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What do you guys think?
Rule interpretation is correct but don't know if the mechanics were right. Were you lead or trail?
Old Sun Sep 13, 2015, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Rule interpretation is correct but don't know if the mechanics were right. Were you lead or trail?
What does it matter? The point is to get it right.
Old Sun Sep 13, 2015, 10:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Dismiss The Importance Of Proper Mechanics, And Signals ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
What does it matter? The point is to get it right.
It does matter. "Get it right", is, most certainly, the first priority. Knowledge of the rules, and how to apply those rules properly, is the highest priority for any basketball official.

Mechanics, and signals, however, must not be shuffled aside. Proper mechanics insure that officials will be in the proper position to make the best call, and proper signals insure that these calls will be properly communicated to partners, the table crew, the coaches, the players, and the fans.

Rules knowledge, and how to properly interpret rules, is certainly important, but don't dismiss the importance of proper mechanics, and signals.

Proper mechanics, and signals, do matter.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 13, 2015 at 12:44pm.
Old Sun Sep 13, 2015, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It does matter. "Get it right", is, most certainly, the first priority. Knowledge of the rules, and how to apply those rules properly, is the highest priority for any basketball official.

Mechanics, and signals, however, must not be shuffled aside. Proper mechanics insure that officials will be in the proper position to make the best call, and proper signals insure that these calls will be properly communicated to partners, the table crew, the coaches, the players, and the fans.

Rules knowledge, and how to properly interpret rules, is certainly important, but don't dismiss the importance of proper mechanics, and signals.

Proper mechanics, and signals, do matter.
This sounds like marketing fluff. I don't care how "nice" your mechanics are if you can't officiate. Whether or not this stuff matters is up to my assignor. I can usually figure out what my partner is calling and doing even if he doesn't follow the mechanics by the book. Get the call right is the most important part of officiating.
Old Sun Sep 13, 2015, 08:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
This sounds like marketing fluff. I don't care how "nice" your mechanics are if you can't officiate. Whether or not this stuff matters is up to my assignor. I can usually figure out what my partner is calling and doing even if he doesn't follow the mechanics by the book. Get the call right is the most important part of officiating.
Mechanics have to do with floor coverage, positioning, rotations, and switching.

So I'm trying to figure out how that doesn't affect the competency of an official.
Old Sun Sep 13, 2015, 10:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Three In One May Be Too Much To Ask ...

Quote:
I don't care how "nice" your mechanics are if you can't officiate ... Get the call right is the most important part of officiating.
Agree 100%, but wouldn't it be nice to have a partner who can officiate; and who also has good mechanics, and signals; and who also always buys the adult beverages after the game.

Those officials do exist. We have lot of officials like that here in my little corner of Connecticut.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 13, 2015 at 10:57pm.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Mechanics have to do with floor coverage, positioning, rotations, and switching.

So I'm trying to figure out how that doesn't affect the competency of an official.
I have to side with BNR on this. While deecee is "getting the call right" in an area of coverage in which he shouldn't be looking, I have to wonder what he is missing and getting wrong in the area that he should be watching!

The other problem with the "get it right" thinking is what happens when the primary official clearly sees a play and decides that it is legal, thus electing to not blow his whistle, but a secondary official comes in with a whistle? Answer: The whistled decision always overrides the non-whistled decision. Is that "right"? Not in my opinion and this is backed by NBA and NCAA studies which claim that 70% of whistles outside of one's PCA are incorrect.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
Quote:
And being in the right position (mechanics) to get the call right is important. Before you can get the call right, you need to be in position to make the call. Maybe you are thinking mechanics as how your fist looks when you blow your whistle, how crisp you hands are when you report fouls, how sharp your counts are; but mechanics also include proper floor positioning, officiating your PCA, understanding when to call out of your primary and when not to, and other marketing fluff as such. So, yeah, trail or lead on this call does matter, because it could "lead" to maybe the call was not right.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I have to side with BNR on this. While deecee is "getting the call right" in an area of coverage in which he shouldn't be looking, I have to wonder what he is missing and getting wrong in the area that he should be watching!

The other problem with the "get it right" thinking is what happens when the primary official clearly sees a play and decides that it is legal, thus electing to not blow his whistle, but a secondary official comes in with a whistle? Answer: The whistled decision always overrides the non-whistled decision. Is that "right"? Not in my opinion and this is backed by NBA and NCAA studies which claim that 70% of whistles outside of one's PCA are incorrect.
Completely agree. My personal philosophy on calling outside my primary is did I see something that *should* be called AND does my partner have a good look (i.e. if I see my partner is looking straight through the matchup then he can live and die with not having a whistle). In cases of goaltending if I were the lead, I may only have a look if there is no real action in front of me. Even then by the time I have a look the contact with the ball would be obvious goaltending and not borderline.

I'd say per 10 games I may have only a small handful of calls outside my primary. The vast majority of times it's with an inexperienced official who gets the deer in headlights situation. Other than that I try and stick to calling the obvious, because reaching is almost always a bad idea.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Thanks - not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that my mechanics were wrong from my scenario

I was trail and it happened in my AOR close to the 3pt line.