The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Indoor U11 girls mini playing FIFA rules except no offsides and kick in's rather than throw in's

With the kick in's, like throw in's you cannot score directly.

On the kick in a defender has a hand ball in the penalty area but the ball enters the net.

The referee did not blow the whistle or signal the infringment until after the ball entered the net.

He dissallowed the goal and awarded us (attackers) a penalty kick.

My understanding under FIFA is that the goal should have counted as it was a 2nd touch although it was a hand ball by a defender and the play was not stopped by the referee prior to the ball entering the net. There should not have been a penalty shot awarded as it was not necessary due to the goal. I should add that the hand ball, from my view, did not seem intentional so the player should not have been shown the red which she was not.

Thanks
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

I can't judge your specific situation as I wasn't there, but it sounds like a great case for use of advantage. However, you said this was a U11 game. That being said, many newer referees fall into two categories. They either never blow the whistle, or they blow it right away. There is a very good chance the referee for your game was as inexperienced as your players and simply jumped the gun.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

I try never to blame ref's for good or bad call's when they are outside the regular stuff that they should know. Advantage is one of these and although there is so much discussion regarding offside, which I feel is basically a simple rule and question all the fuss over it, advantage is much more discretionary but I'm used to it from my rugby days.

You are correct that they are normally younger (this one wasn't though if I think back). I do like to discuss things with them after a game if I have a different take on a judgement so that they can apply the rules better or I can understand them better if I am mistaken (which I was once). This gives them a chance to look into a rule and make the proper call the next time out. Since I'm obtaining my ref designation and my Pre B (Canada) in the spring I'm trying to hone up on the obscure stuff too.

Thanks.
Old Sat Dec 25, 2004, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Coach,
I don't work indoor soccer, but I can give you a ruling on your play for outdoor FIFA.
Since you said that the handball was unintentional, it is NOT a foul at all. Play should not be stopped and the goal counts.
Now if we change the play a bit, we make it harder, but more instructive. Let's say the restart is an indirect free kick and that the defender does intentionally handle the ball in the area, but it goes into the goal anyway.
The Law tells us that this is a foul, but it is not a red card since a goal was not denied by the handling. The fact that it was an IFK (similar to your indoor restart) means that the foul cannot deny a goal since one cannot legally be scored directly from the kick.
The proper thing for the official to do is the wait until the ball either enters the goal or it is clear that it won't until he blows the whistle. Blowing it before would nullify an otherwise deserved goal due to the ball now being out of play.
By waiting, advantage can be applied to this situation and the attackers properly awarded a goal. The defender should still be cautioned for the handling offense.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SpeedyGonGoalie
It sounds like he was asleep at the switch. That's all I can think of. Although if he disallowed the goal, then I think a card should have been in order.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

The whistle requires action

There is a broader path to take if the whistle isn't blown in this case. Once the play is stopped, its when the ref thinks so not when the whistle sounds, there is a set course of action that must take place. If you allow play to continue you have a kick-off and a stern talk, to a U-11 player, the best outcome.