The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 23, 2015, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

substitution question

1 out with runner on second. Coach calls time wants to put in a pinch runner for the#2 batter (who is on second). He tells umpire that #6 is the pinch runner but # 10 takes the spot on second. #10 was the left fielder and also batting in the 8th spot. Pitcher toes the rubber, catcher in position to to receive pitch, batter in the box ready to hit, and umpire in position to receive the pitch. Same coach then notices his issue calls time and corrects the players. Opposing coach is asking for illegal substitution. What would be the call in this situation under NFHS rules.

Umpire said he never put ball in play so it could be fixed without penalty.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4tide View Post
1 out with runner on second. Coach calls time wants to put in a pinch runner for the#2 batter (who is on second). He tells umpire that #6 is the pinch runner but # 10 takes the spot on second. #10 was the left fielder and also batting in the 8th spot. Pitcher toes the rubber, catcher in position to to receive pitch, batter in the box ready to hit, and umpire in position to receive the pitch. Same coach then notices his issue calls time and corrects the players. Opposing coach is asking for illegal substitution. What would be the call in this situation under NFHS rules.

Umpire said he never put ball in play so it could be fixed without penalty.
No penalty. A substitution does not take effect until the ball is live (3-1-1.)
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

I guess the big question then is when is ball considered live. In this situation the umpire did not point or say play but you could see that he was in place and ready to call the pitch. He was already in the slot with everyone else in position to resume play. This guy had a habit ofnot verbally or physically giving any signal that the ball was live and back in play. He would just take his position and things would start bback up.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rcaverly
5-1-4 After a dead ball, the ball becomes live when it is held by the *pitcher in a legal pitching position, provided the pitcher has engaged the pitcher's plate, the batter and the catcher are in their respective boxes, and the umpire calls "Play" and gives the appropriate signal.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
No penalty. A substitution does not take effect until the ball is live (3-1-1.)
Unannounced Illegal substitution does not take effect until the ball is live.

6 was legally in the game upon announcement. 10 is not in the game yet depending on your take of live or not. The umpires take was not live. Put 6 in the game:

2006 interps:

SITUATION 18: With a runner on first and the pitcher struggling in the top of the fifth inning, S1 comes to the mound and begins to throw his warm-up pitches. His coach announces to the plate umpire the change, who marks it on his lineup card and announces to the home scorekeeper. After only four warm-up pitches, the defensive coach decides he wants a different player to pitch. The visiting coach argues that since the ball had not yet been made live, the substitution had not been made and he can change his mind. RULING: Once the umpire-in-chief has accepted the change, marked it on his lineup and announced the change, the substitution is in effect. The substitute pitcher must pitch until the batter then at bat, or any substitute for that batter, is put out or reaches first base, or until a third out has been made. Therefore, the coach cannot change his substitute pitcher until the pitching conditions have been met. The only exception to this requirement would be if the substitute pitcher became incapacitated or guilty of flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct. If there had been no announcement of the substitution, the unreported substitution would be considered to have been made when the pitcher took his place on the pitcher’s plate and the ball was made live. (3-1-1, 3-1-2)

Last edited by umpjim; Fri Apr 24, 2015 at 10:42am.