The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 16, 2014, 09:11am
Stirrer of the Pot

CR in MLB?

I thought I heard something during last night's All Star game when Mike Matheny put in Dee Gordon to pinch run for someone (can't recall who). One of the announcers mentioned that there was a special rule for All Star play that would allow Gordon to re-enter the game later.

It sounds like this special rule is nothing more than some kind of courtesy runner (or, more accurately for those of you who do LL, a Special Pinch Runner) rule just for the All Star Game. I guess the intent is to prevent an All Star from exhausting his eligibility when he pinch runs.

Or was I just hearing things? I never stayed up to watch and see if Gordon remained in the game after pinch running, or he came out and then came in later to play.

I wonder if there are any other quirky rules for All Star play we are unaware of.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Jul 16, 2014, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Under a change that runs contrary to normal baseball rules, each manager may designate a position player who will be eligible for re-entry to the game if the final position player -- at any position -- is injured.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jul 16, 2014, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

I think there is a special rule that says Jeter comes out early in his last all star game after getting 2 hits so he can get a standing O and enjoy the rest of the game from the dugout.

Who cares what the substitution rules are for the all star game?