Thread: CR in MLB?
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 16, 2014, 09:11am
Stirrer of the Pot

CR in MLB?

I thought I heard something during last night's All Star game when Mike Matheny put in Dee Gordon to pinch run for someone (can't recall who). One of the announcers mentioned that there was a special rule for All Star play that would allow Gordon to re-enter the game later.

It sounds like this special rule is nothing more than some kind of courtesy runner (or, more accurately for those of you who do LL, a Special Pinch Runner) rule just for the All Star Game. I guess the intent is to prevent an All Star from exhausting his eligibility when he pinch runs.

Or was I just hearing things? I never stayed up to watch and see if Gordon remained in the game after pinch running, or he came out and then came in later to play.

I wonder if there are any other quirky rules for All Star play we are unaware of.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker