The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Tex/Ana Obstruction Replay

OK, I think MLB is completely screwing up (or redefining in a way FAR more strict than any other ruleset) the OBS rule. Twice in one week we've had replay overturn a play into obstruction, and in neither case do I believe the runner ever slowed or deviated from their path.

(Then they screw up INT in the Yankee game... so - you can review OBS but not INT --- that's ridiculous).

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
OK, I think MLB is completely screwing up (or redefining in a way FAR more strict than any other ruleset) the OBS rule. Twice in one week we've had replay overturn a play into obstruction, and in neither case do I believe the runner ever slowed or deviated from their path.
Most of my family was at my house last evening for a birthday party. My brother-in-laws, father-in-law, and nephew were watching the game. In all of our opinion's the runner was out. When the Angels manager came out to ask for a review, I told everyone to not be surprised when the replay official reversed the call on the field. None of them could believe it. Neither did wash. I agree that the new rule and interpretion is complete BS.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 09:45am
Stirrer of the Pot

It would help if you would provide video links to the plays in question. I have no idea what either of you are referring to.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Umpire review results in Angels run, Ron Washington ejection | texasrangers.com: News
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

The comments on there are horrifying. The complete and utter misunderstanding of this rule is insane.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 10:48am

The reason there is a complete and utter misunderstanding of the rule is because it flies in the face of logic. Honorable intentions. Horrible execution.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 11:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

The catcher gave complete access between his legs to the approaching runner until he had the baseball. Maybe that's not the rule, but it should be.

How anyone can say the catcher did anything wrong is completely twisted. Another rule that will be fixed at some point. In the meantime, managers will continue to get ejected for arguing with umpires who aren't even making the decision.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 11:56am
Stirrer of the Pot

Wow, now that I've seen the videos, I understand the concern. They've essentially taken the requirement for the runner to actually be hindered out of the equation.

Hopefully this will go the way of the botched transfer rulings that were made earlier this season. But I won't hold my breath.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

I turned off the game after this play....this ruling made Kruke sick !!!!
Old Tue Jun 24, 2014, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

(Then they screw up INT in the Yankee game... so - you can review OBS but not INT --- that's ridiculous).
I agree this is a bad precedent- doesn't make sense. And i wonder what kind of trickle down effect this will have on game played in HS etc.,

Thanks
David
Old Tue Jun 24, 2014, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
I agree this is a bad precedent- doesn't make sense. And i wonder what kind of trickle down effect this will have on game played in HS etc.,
David
Thankfully, very few HS games are telecast with a crew somewhere else to call upon to review tape replay. So, trickle down effect is negligible.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2014, 08:20am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Thankfully, very few HS games are telecast with a crew somewhere else to call upon to review tape replay. So, trickle down effect is negligible.
True, but EVERY Momma & Daddy has a video camera.

"Hey blue, come look at this...."