The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Replay in WS

Anyone else not fully convinced that the ball would have left the park if it didn't hit the camera? With the camera extending over the fence, I think it would be tough to determing what would happen to the ball if the camera were not there. It could have hit off the top of the wall and come back into the field of play. It may have never left the field of play at all. I wouldn't classify the replays I saw as conclusive either way, so doesn't the call on the field stand in that situation?
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBa Booey View Post
Any. I wouldn't classify the replays I saw as conclusive either way, so doesn't the call on the field stand in that situation?
Haven't seen the play yet, but I don't believe MLB replay policy takes into consideration your opinion as to what is conclusive.
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Anyone else not fully convinced that the ball would have left the park if it didn't hit the camera? With the camera extending over the fence, I think it would be tough to determing what would happen to the ball if the camera were not there. It could have hit off the top of the wall and come back into the field of play. It may have never left the field of play at all. I wouldn't classify the replays I saw as conclusive either way, so doesn't the call on the field stand in that situation?
No, I'm not convinced would have left the field of play, but I think it was the right call.
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Haven't seen the play yet, but I don't believe MLB replay policy takes into consideration your opinion as to what is conclusive.
What an unnecessary and obnoxious response. I never said my opinion was right, I was merely asking what others thought. Obviously Gerry Davis and crew thought otherwise.
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What an unnecessary and obnoxious response. I never said my opinion was right, I was merely asking what others thought. Obviously Gerry Davis and crew thought otherwise.

No, that's not what you said. You said: "I wouldn't classify the replays I saw as conclusive either way, so doesn't the call on the field stand in that situation?"

Thus you asked if the call on the field would stand based on how you interpreted the replays. That is doubtful.

If you meant to ask a different question, I apologize.
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Right. I gave my opinion, that the replay was not conclusive either way. I never said that my opinion was right or that MLB should check with me first before making any decisions. I was curious as to what everyone else thought, based on the replays. Davis and crew clearly thought they were conclusive, and I have no problem with that, I just wanted to know what you thought. Well, maybe not YOU, but everyone else.
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Right. I gave my opinion, that the replay was not conclusive either way. I never said that my opinion was right or that MLB should check with me first before making any decisions. I was curious as to what everyone else thought, based on the replays. Davis and crew clearly thought they were conclusive, and I have no problem with that, I just wanted to know what you thought. Well, maybe not YOU, but everyone else.
dude your a little pissed huh?....its just a message board.. with other peoples opinions...
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Or maybe, which the announcers of course never mentioned, there is a ground rule regarding that camera that overhangs. It might be auto 4...
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't feel bad; he's haughty to almost everyone.
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

Listen to CC Gerry Davis' explanation:

New York Yankees vs. Philadelphia Phillies - Recap - October 31, 2009 - ESPN

A ground rule regarding balls hitting "overhanging cameras" was in effect. Replay call was right.

Note: Select video "Umpires on Instant Replay Game 3"

Last edited by cookie; Sun Nov 01, 2009 at 06:31am. Reason: select video
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Or maybe, which the announcers of course never mentioned, there is a ground rule regarding that camera that overhangs. It might be auto 4...
I'm with you. I think it's likely that ground rules specific to the WS configuration of the stadium (including each overhanging camera) were very thorough and carefully written.

IF true, then it should have been a pretty easy call for the ump down the line. I just hate it when replay changes a call, because it will inevitably be used to promote more extensive use of replay. Ick.

Note to baseball stadium architects everywhere: Can you please design your freakin' stadiums in such a way that if the ball comes back on the field (other than off the foul pole), it's in play, and if it doesn't, it's a home run. It's not that hard.

Last edited by dash_riprock; Sun Nov 01, 2009 at 08:33am.
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Just watched Gerry's interview. Makes sense to me, and it explains why they came to their decision so fast. Fair enough.
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 09:33am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Note to baseball stadium architects everywhere: Can you please design your freakin' stadiums in such a way that if the ball comes back on the field (other than off the foul pole), it's in play, and if it doesn't, it's a home run. It's not that hard.
So, what you're saying is the Minnesota baggie in the outfield should be a no go? (sarc)
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

If you ask me, the ball would have left the field of play over the fence for a home run had it not hit the camera.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Compared to NFL or College Replays, we did not have to wait that long for a decision. The umpires came right out after looking at the replay and ruled an HR.

No argument from Manual etc. AROD hit a line shot and the umpires felt (and IMo rightly so) that if the camera was not there the ball would have cleared the fence.

All in all as mentioned there was not a HUGE delay in making the decision compared to some NFL / College replays.

Pete Booth