The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 21, 2014, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

CWS Vandy/Texas

In like the 5th or 6th inning of the Sat. night game between Vandy and Texas, Vandy attempted a suicide squeeze but the pitch was nowhere near bunt-able and the player running home from 3rd was caught in no man's land. But the runner from 2nd was now at third. The catcher chased R3 back to the bag but didn't tag him until he was on the back, causing U3 to call that runner safe. Catcher now tries to tag R2, which he does (U3 calls him out) but the problem was that between the first and second tag by the catcher, R3 left the base. It happened very fast and I know U3 didn't see that, but I ran it back several times and even at regular speed, it was clear that R3 did leave prior to the second tag. Anyway, R3 was then tagged out and U3 ruled both were out. Only R2 stayed to argue and no one seemed to make a big deal out of it.

I don't work baseball, but was wondering: with 2 runners on the same base, does the fielder have to tag the runner who doesn't belong there? Did the tag on R2 become meaningless when R3 left the base?

R3 is definitely out, but I'm wondering if R2 should have been as well. If a tag is not necessary, then it was correct. If one was, then I wonder, but I don't know the NCAA rule.
Old Sun Jun 22, 2014, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

By rule, the base belongs to the lead runner (unless forced -- which he wasn't in your play).

If both are on the base, the trail runner is out when tagged. If only one is on the base, then that runner is safe when tagged.

As you describe the play, R2 should have been safe. But, as you also say, U3 didn't see R3 leave, so U3 called what he saw.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

U3 was WAY too close to this. F2 tagged R1 (safe), then R1 stepped off and he tagged R2 (out, but should have been safe), then tagged R1 again (also signalled out, giving them 4 outs). Not sure why R2 was complaining, there were 3 outs even if it was called correctly.

But to answer the question, had they both been on the base, a tag of R2 (from 2nd) was required to get an out.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Are you sure? I thought there was only 1 out at the time of the pitch. There had to have only been one out, hence the suicide attempt.

So where are you getting 4 outs?
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Are you sure? I thought there was only 1 out at the time of the pitch. There had to have only been one out, hence the suicide attempt.

So where are you getting 4 outs?
There was one out. That bunt attempt (stupid as it was) was with 2 strikes. Looked to me like he didn't realize it was a squeeze.

West Houston Mike