The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Help the basketball ref with the balk rule

First off, I respect the baseball umps so much that I don't want your job. I'll stick with basketball.

I know balks are a never ending question. However, I tried searching many resources to find the accurate interpretation of what is as described in rule 8.01(b)

Specifically, at a junior high level game. Runner on first. Left handed pitcher from the set position (hands at belt level), goes into his motion. Lifts his right leg and holds it in a balanced postion for 1-2 seconds (hands at chest level, no break). Then, makes his choice of home or first. He picked off 3 kids in a row.

Is that legal? is there a time limit that he can keep his leg up? or does it have to be one continuous motion either home or to 1st? Do the hands have anything to do with the call since they went from set at the belt to set again at the chest.

I hope I explained it correctly. thanks for your input.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 05:54am
Stirrer of the Pot

The pertinent language in 8.01(b) is at the end of the rule, where it says, "After assuming Set Position, any natural motion associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without alteration or interruption." The pitcher you describe is definitely interrupting his natural motion, and a balk should have been called.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Manny, I think the key here is failing to pitch to the batter with one "continuous" motion. The "hanging leg" can certainly be the culprit to call a Balk. If "as described" it sounds like a candidate for a balk. A good lefty will always give you fits.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

If other body parts keep moving then the motion has not been interrupted. Just hanging the leg in and of itself isn't enough to make the balk call.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Rotating Hands?

Would you allow F1 to hang his leg and rotate his hands (with his hands together) in a circle several times before committing to pitch or throw to first?
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
If other body parts keep moving then the motion has not been interrupted. Just hanging the leg in and of itself isn't enough to make the balk call.
Sorry Rich, but I have to disagree! The legs are part of the throwing motion. By stopping/pausing creates a great advantage IMO.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Sorry Rich, but I have to disagree! The legs are part of the throwing motion. By stopping/pausing creates a great advantage IMO.
So are the arms and torso. Can I stop them but continue with the leg.

Know what a balance point is for a pitcher?

A2D I guess.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 02:10pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
But I wouldn't allow a pitcher to hang his leg for 10 seconds while looking at the runner and moving his joined hands up and down and round and round either. The movement is supposed to be a "natural pitching motion", and there's nothing natural about that.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you implying that every body part must be continually in motion during a pitch?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Are you implying that every body part must be continually in motion during a pitch?
I'm saying, if the pitcher stands there and stops his motion and is there balancing on one leg, I'm balking him.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm saying, if the pitcher stands there and stops his motion and is there balancing on one leg, I'm balking him.
Yeah ... me too. Everyone else here as well, I believe.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Manny, I think the key here is failing to pitch to the batter with one "continuous" motion. The "hanging leg" can certainly be the culprit to call a Balk. If "as described" it sounds like a candidate for a balk. A good lefty will always give you fits.
If as described" it sounds like a candidate for a balk.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

If the LHP comes to a complete halt with that leg in the air - nothing moving - that's a balk. You can call it a double set or start & stop, but it's a balk. Now, if the LHP is real good, he'll be leaning forward and/or "curling up". Then, he better go to the plate.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys! I appreciate the insight. Much more thoughtful than listening to a coach tell me emphatically that it is a rule that a pitcher can hang his leg for 3 seconds, I should know better than to talk to a coach about rules.

Thanks again guys.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 02:57pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCOfficial View Post
Much more thoughtful than listening to a coach tell me emphatically that it is a rule that a pitcher can hang his leg for 3 seconds...
Where do these yayhoos come up with this crap anyway? Three seconds? It says that in a rule book somewhere? Really, coach??

Unfreakingbelievable.