The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Help the basketball ref with the balk rule (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/98007-help-basketball-ref-balk-rule.html)

KCOfficial Tue Jun 03, 2014 02:33am

Help the basketball ref with the balk rule

First off, I respect the baseball umps so much that I don't want your job. I'll stick with basketball.

I know balks are a never ending question. However, I tried searching many resources to find the accurate interpretation of what is as described in rule 8.01(b)

Specifically, at a junior high level game. Runner on first. Left handed pitcher from the set position (hands at belt level), goes into his motion. Lifts his right leg and holds it in a balanced postion for 1-2 seconds (hands at chest level, no break). Then, makes his choice of home or first. He picked off 3 kids in a row.

Is that legal? is there a time limit that he can keep his leg up? or does it have to be one continuous motion either home or to 1st? Do the hands have anything to do with the call since they went from set at the belt to set again at the chest.

I hope I explained it correctly. thanks for your input.

Manny A Tue Jun 03, 2014 05:54am

The pertinent language in 8.01(b) is at the end of the rule, where it says, "After assuming Set Position, any natural motion associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without alteration or interruption." The pitcher you describe is definitely interrupting his natural motion, and a balk should have been called.

jicecone Tue Jun 03, 2014 07:06am

Manny, I think the key here is failing to pitch to the batter with one "continuous" motion. The "hanging leg" can certainly be the culprit to call a Balk. If "as described" it sounds like a candidate for a balk. A good lefty will always give you fits.

Rich Ives Tue Jun 03, 2014 09:54am

If other body parts keep moving then the motion has not been interrupted. Just hanging the leg in and of itself isn't enough to make the balk call.

Robert E. Harrison Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15am

Rotating Hands?

Would you allow F1 to hang his leg and rotate his hands (with his hands together) in a circle several times before committing to pitch or throw to first?

thumpferee Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 935369)
If other body parts keep moving then the motion has not been interrupted. Just hanging the leg in and of itself isn't enough to make the balk call.

Sorry Rich, but I have to disagree! The legs are part of the throwing motion. By stopping/pausing creates a great advantage IMO.

Rich Ives Tue Jun 03, 2014 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 935383)
Sorry Rich, but I have to disagree! The legs are part of the throwing motion. By stopping/pausing creates a great advantage IMO.

So are the arms and torso. Can I stop them but continue with the leg.

Know what a balance point is for a pitcher?

A2D I guess.

Manny A Tue Jun 03, 2014 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 935369)

But I wouldn't allow a pitcher to hang his leg for 10 seconds while looking at the runner and moving his joined hands up and down and round and round either. The movement is supposed to be a "natural pitching motion", and there's nothing natural about that.

MD Longhorn Tue Jun 03, 2014 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 935383)

Are you implying that every body part must be continually in motion during a pitch?

thumpferee Tue Jun 03, 2014 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 935399)
Are you implying that every body part must be continually in motion during a pitch?

I'm saying, if the pitcher stands there and stops his motion and is there balancing on one leg, I'm balking him.

MD Longhorn Tue Jun 03, 2014 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 935415)
I'm saying, if the pitcher stands there and stops his motion and is there balancing on one leg, I'm balking him.

Yeah ... me too. Everyone else here as well, I believe.

jicecone Tue Jun 03, 2014 05:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 935357)
Manny, I think the key here is failing to pitch to the batter with one "continuous" motion. The "hanging leg" can certainly be the culprit to call a Balk. If "as described" it sounds like a candidate for a balk. A good lefty will always give you fits.

If as described" it sounds like a candidate for a balk.

ozzy6900 Tue Jun 03, 2014 06:30pm

If the LHP comes to a complete halt with that leg in the air - nothing moving - that's a balk. You can call it a double set or start & stop, but it's a balk. Now, if the LHP is real good, he'll be leaning forward and/or "curling up". Then, he better go to the plate.

KCOfficial Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:47am

Thanks guys! I appreciate the insight. Much more thoughtful than listening to a coach tell me emphatically that it is a rule that a pitcher can hang his leg for 3 seconds, I should know better than to talk to a coach about rules.

Thanks again guys.

Manny A Wed Jun 04, 2014 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCOfficial (Post 935462)
Much more thoughtful than listening to a coach tell me emphatically that it is a rule that a pitcher can hang his leg for 3 seconds...

Where do these yayhoos come up with this crap anyway? Three seconds? It says that in a rule book somewhere? Really, coach??

Unfreakingbelievable.