The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

FED Balk Rule & Mechanic

What do you look for when you have a LH Pitcher who seemingly has a very good move? Reason for asking is I know the rule states it is a balk by "failing to step with the non-pivot foot directly toward a base"..... Seemed to have a timing issue tonight (first game this season?) Coach seemed to think there was a rule about 45 degrees.... Any help ???
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:16pm
Stop staring at me swan.

There is not a 45 degree rule that I'm aware of. It is a guideline only. With two umpires you'd never see the 45 anyway...you need at least 3 umpires to see that and it's only a guideline, not a rule. LH pitchers have enough of an advantage, they need to make sure they're stepping to 1B when throwing over. Also, I have to brush up on my FED rules, but in OBR rules, coach can't argue a step balk. Ask Joe West! (grin)

The rule states that if he's going to throw to first he has to step more to first than to home.

Typically the Plate Umpire (PU) has the best look at this and probably should be the one calling the balk in the two umpire system...certainly that's not to say that if BU sees it, that he can't call it.

If you think it was a balk, obviously you don't call the balk until F1 has thrown to 1B. Then in FED, everything stops once the balk is called.

Sorry, I have to get to bed so I can't post any rules or official mechanics guidelines for you...but I trust others will share their thoughts as well. Don't worry about it. Balks can be tricky...if you called it, it was probably a balk.

Have a good season!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 04:58am
Official Forum Member

"...There is not a 45 degree rule that I'm aware of..."

I have not seen it written in OBR nor Fed, but it is written in the NCAA Rule Book (2010): Rule 9-1-a (6)

Rule 9-1-a(6): The pitcher must step directly and gain ground toward a base in an attempt to pick off a runner. “Directly” is interpreted to mean within a 45-degree angle measuring from the pivot foot toward the base the
pitcher is throwing to or feinting a throw.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

FED 6.2.4B

One of the OBR "authoritative opinions" (JEA or J/R) has the similar wording.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastordoug View Post
What do you look for when you have a LH Pitcher who seemingly has a very good move? Reason for asking is I know the rule states it is a balk by "failing to step with the non-pivot foot directly toward a base"..... Seemed to have a timing issue tonight (first game this season?) Coach seemed to think there was a rule about 45 degrees.... Any help ???
The FED rule does not mention 45 degrees, but the case play does, so your coach was correct:

6.2.4 SITUATION B: With R1 on first, F1 attempts a pickoff while stepping at an
angle but to the home plate side. RULING: Balk. To comply with the requirement
to “step directly toward,” F1 must step to the first-base side of a 45-degree angle
between center of pitcher’s plate and between home and first base
. (6-2-4b)

I'm not sure what timing has to do with this...
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I knew the case book had that in it but what I was asking is how can you possible see that from B position? You have a coach on 3rd who has a much better angle..... But I'm not going to let him argue. The comment about timing was actually being able to see where his foot comes down while still being able to take a step and turn towards 1st to make a call...... Just felt a little off because that was my first game since last year....
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I knew the case book had that in it but what I was asking is how can you possible see that from B position? You have a coach on 3rd who has a much better angle..... But I'm not going to let him argue. The comment about timing was actually being able to see where his foot comes down while still being able to take a step and turn towards 1st to make a call...... Just felt a little off because that was my first game since last year....
It's not solely his call, but the PU has a better look at the LH pitcher stepping to first in a 2-man game.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Working with a good PU helps here. They have the best view of whether or not the pitcher gains distance.

In the "B" position you are not going to clearly see the completion of the direct step and distance gain, and still turn to make sure of tag/no tag at the base. Unless it is completely obvious. Make this a pre-game with your partner if you know the lefty is going that day. I have been caught several times with inexperienced PU's who believe balks are BU responsibilities only. A good lefty can make a two-man crew look bad real fast and this is when teamwork is necessary..
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just learned this last weekend - That's PU's call. As others have siad, if BU sees it, call it, but priority of the step falls to PU.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As the base ump when in B the best thing to look for is to watch the left handed pitchers right foot--when he brings it back and you can see the bottom of the shoe(spikes staring at you) then his foot went behind the pitchers plate. As for the step towards first--that is the plate umps call--just look for movement towards first--if he moves towards first and the *** goes towards first then the right foot hits the ground he gained distance towards first--but if the foot comes down first then the *** goes towards first then the body towards first ---then you might have a balk--if they want the call every time pay for three umps
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 02:17pm
Stop staring at me swan.

It seems awkward to call it from the plate...but it really is the better angle. I called it twice last year and got arguments from the defense as to why the base guy didn't call it...you know the "it's his call, not your's blue"

At the point at which I hear that, I knew I won the discussion.