The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 12, 2014, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
2 rules i ran into this weekend

1. we had a balk on the pitcher with a man on third, pitch was called a strike. is this a delayed dead ball? obviously runner gets third but does the strike count with the batter?

2. after a home run hit over the fence, the batter was given a high five by the 3rd base coach as he rounded the bag and by a teammate just before he touches the plate, is the batter out?

we are using major league rules in this tournament. i would like to know the rules in both mlb and nfhs. thanks
Old Mon May 12, 2014, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

in situation 1, runner was on second and was awarded third on the balk. i made a typo.
Old Mon May 12, 2014, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

1. In your case, the ball is dead when the pitch is caught (OBR). It's immediately dead on the balk (NFHS). Move the runner, cancel the pitch (both).

2. No (both).

Last edited by dash_riprock; Mon May 12, 2014 at 06:54am. Reason: Add rules codes.
Old Mon May 12, 2014, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan View Post
1. we had a balk on the pitcher with a man on third, pitch was called a strike. is this a delayed dead ball? obviously runner gets third but does the strike count with the batter?

2. after a home run hit over the fence, the batter was given a high five by the 3rd base coach as he rounded the bag and by a teammate just before he touches the plate, is the batter out?

we are using major league rules in this tournament. i would like to know the rules in both mlb and nfhs. thanks
If the umpires in your tournament ruled this way you should retitle your post to:
"2 clowns I ran into this weekend."
Old Mon May 12, 2014, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
If the umpires in your tournament ruled this way you should retitle your post to:
"2 clowns I ran into this weekend."
i am sad to say that they did. they took away a home run from a 11 year old that hit an absolute bomb. i am an umpire myself and was very embarrassed for them.
Old Mon May 12, 2014, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

ô!ô

Gosh, I wish Mitch Williams was on the offended team in each of these plays.
Old Mon May 12, 2014, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
we are using major league rules in this tournament.
So, you can only use wood bats, eh?
Old Mon May 12, 2014, 02:13pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
i am sad to say that they did. they took away a home run from a 11 year old that hit an absolute bomb. i am an umpire myself and was very embarrassed for them.
Oh well, it happens. I'm sure the 11 year old won't be scarred for life. He'll probably hit a lot more of them.

But the real question in my mind is: Did the player's manager protest the call?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon May 12, 2014, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Oh well, it happens. I'm sure the 11 year old won't be scarred for life. He'll probably hit a lot more of them.

But the real question in my mind is: Did the player's manager protest the call?
You hit the nail on the head, Manny.

So easy to complain about bad umpires after the fact. But most of those guys don't get better because they go home thinking they got it all right. Unless a supervisor happens to be watching when they screw up, they don't get better.

I wish coaches would protest calls when they have a case ... like in this one.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 12, 2014, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

I agree about the protest option....I assume no need to protest calling a strike on a balk unless it caused a strikeout but certainly would have to protest the HR takeaway...get your $100 bill out and have them call the UIC or TD before the next pitch.
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
I agree about the protest option....I assume no need to protest calling a strike on a balk unless it caused a strikeout but certainly would have to protest the HR takeaway...get your $100 bill out and have them call the UIC or TD before the next pitch.
Why wouldn't you protest the strike?
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
You hit the nail on the head, Manny.

So easy to complain about bad umpires after the fact. But most of those guys don't get better because they go home thinking they got it all right. Unless a supervisor happens to be watching when they screw up, they don't get better.

I wish coaches would protest calls when they have a case ... like in this one.
I wish umpires (the ones getting paid and not volunteering) would learn the rules.
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 11:16am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDUmp View Post
I wish umpires (the ones getting paid and not volunteering) would learn the rules.
Doesn't matter if they're volunteer or paid. If they're willing to work the games, they should learn the trade.

I spent my first ten years strictly umpiring Little League Baseball. Never got paid a dime. But I read rule books, case books, and authoritative interpretations, attended clinics, and actively participated in a number of internet discussion boards. I also encouraged my fellow volunteer umpires to do the same.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDUmp View Post
I agree with you. But you see how hard it is, sometimes, to convince some umpires of the proper ruling - and the vast majority of the umpires out there don't care enough about the job to come to sites like this one. It can be very frustrating.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Doesn't matter if they're volunteer or paid. If they're willing to work the games, they should learn the trade.

I spent my first ten years strictly umpiring Little League Baseball. Never got paid a dime. But I read rule books, case books, and authoritative interpretations, attended clinics, and actively participated in a number of internet discussion boards. I also encouraged my fellow volunteer umpires to do the same.
You are to be commended for that - but you are the exception. I work LL ball once a year - at the end when a nearby league brings in real, paid umpires. I'm always paired (or trio'd) with 1 or 2 umpires they've been using all year. And they scare the crap out of me. I've had them argue with me that the hands ARE part of the bat. I've had them argue that under no circumstances can you award a base that the runner didn't attempt to get to after they were obstructed. I've had them call TIE! on a banger at first. I've had them call time with two runners on the same base. I've had them call a foul-tip-strikeout on a ball that went bat-mask-ground. I've had one guy flat out insist that he would never eject a coach after he got berated by one and we were discussing it between games. "It's not about me, it's about the kids" - so when he botched the hell out of a call and the same coach came flying out - experienced partner and I let him fly in the wind. 5 minutes. No ejection.

And they "get by" with this nonsense all season until their tournaments... and the other "real" umpires and I leave the place stunned and with tons of stories like those I just mentioned.

West Houston Mike