Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

removing helmet after home run

FED rules:

Quote:
5-1-2e It is a delayed dead ball when anyone who is required to wear a batting helmet deliberately removes his helmet, while the ball is in liveball territory and the ball is live;…

Penalty: Team warning. Subsequent players on that team to violate rule are ejected.

1-5-1 . . . It is mandatory for on-deck batters, batters, runners, retired runners, players/students in the coaches boxes as well as non-adult bat/ball shaggers to wear a batting helmet …

PENALTY: When an umpire observes anyone who is required to wear a batting helmet deliberately remove his batting helmet while in live-ball territory and the ball is live …, the umpire shall issue a warning to the coach of the involved team, unless the ball becomes dead without being touched by a fielder or, after being touched, goes directly to dead-ball area. A subsequent violation of the rule shall result in ejection.

Had this situation tonight: Batter hits long home run over the fence and as he approaches home plate removes his helmet before touching home. I guess my question is, is the condition "while in live-ball territory and the ball is live" met for the purposes of this rule?
Defensive coach complained, I discussed it with my partner, I issued a warning to offensive coach, he said "no problem" and we moved on.

Last edited by rbmartin; Thu May 08, 2014 at 09:12pm.
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 09:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
FED rules:

Had this situation tonight: Batter hits long home run over the fence and as he approaches home plate removes his helmet before touching home. I guess my question is, is the condition "while in live-ball territory and the ball is live" met for the purposes of this rule?
Defensive coach complained, I discussed it with my partner, I issued a warning to offensive coach, he said "no problem" and we moved on.
No. A home run over the fence makes the ball dead.
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
FED rules:

The rule is basically the same as softball. Once the ball has gone over the fence, it is no longer in live ball territory, so by rule, the batting helmet is no longer required to be worn.
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 04:54am
Official Forum Member

Got it... Thanks!
Quote:
5-1-1f(4) Ball becomes dead immediately when:..a fair batted ball…goes over or through or wedges in the field fence, …
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 12:50pm
Official & ***** Member

The purpose of the rule is to protect him from being hit by the ball. Since the ball is over the fence, there's no violation.
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 02:22pm
In Time Out

"PENALTY: When an umpire observes anyone who is required to wear a batting helmet deliberately remove his batting helmet while in live-ball territory and the ball is live …, the umpire shall issue a warning to the coach of the involved team, unless the ball becomes dead without being touched by a fielder or, after being touched, goes directly to dead-ball area. A subsequent violation of the rule shall result in ejection"

What if the PU puts the ball back in play before R or any other person required to wear a helmet removes the same?
Old Tue May 13, 2014, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Geez. I have seen hundreds of BR's take their helmet off when approaching the dugout after being putout. I have also seen BR's slide into 2b safely and when nothing is going on take their helmet off, rub their head and put it back on. I think nothing of either.

If one intentionally flips his helmet off while running the bases I would put a warning on that team.