The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Cool Leaving the Base path

HS JV - Bottom of the 2nd, bases loaded, one out. Batter hits to F6 who fumbles the ball and then throws to F3 for out two.

Runner on 3rd comes home. Runner on 2nd is between 3rd and home when F3 throws to F5 who attempts to tag runner coming into 3rd. The runner leaves the base path by at least 2 steps and I call him out for the 3rd out and only count the 1st run as the runner between 3rd and home crossed after I called the 3rd out.

Move the the bottom of the 4th. Almost identical play but the runner only took one step. I still call him out for leaving the base path.

The coach goes ballistic and I tell him that we are NOT GOING to argue decisions.

We finish the game and I go home.

I had to do the game by myself as we were short on people for Monday.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
HS JV - Bottom of the 2nd, bases loaded, one out. Batter hits to F6 who fumbles the ball and then throws to F3 for out two.

Runner on 3rd comes home. Runner on 2nd is between 3rd and home when F3 throws to F5 who attempts to tag runner coming into 3rd. The runner leaves the base path by at least 2 steps and I call him out for the 3rd out and only count the 1st run as the runner between 3rd and home crossed after I called the 3rd out.

Move the the bottom of the 4th. Almost identical play but the runner only took one step. I still call him out for leaving the base path.

The coach goes ballistic and I tell him that we are NOT GOING to argue decisions.

We finish the game and I go home.

2 steps & 1 step? Where did you learn to umpire? The runner gets 3 FEET to either side of the base line that they establish. I don't blame the coach for reaming you out.
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
2 steps & 1 step? Where did you learn to umpire? The runner gets 3 FEET to either side of the base line that they establish. I don't blame the coach for reaming you out.

I don't remember which clinic I went to that described how to judge this.

The normal adult male is about 6 feet tall. He takes a 24 to 30 inch step when walking. When running, he will take a 3 to 4 ft step.

You do the math.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The normal adult male is about 6 feet tall. He takes a 24 to 30 inch step when walking. When running, he will take a 3 to 4 ft step.

You do the math.
But usually not perpendicular to HIS basepath.

And it''s HIS basepath, not the baseline

Last edited by Rich Ives; Tue May 06, 2014 at 10:39am.
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You do the math.
Seriously?

So ... your runner stopped and took two steps perpendicular to his bath path? I doubt it.

2 steps diagonally may or may not be 3 feet from the basepath that was established when the tag began. 1 step diagonally DEFINITELY was not.

One thing experience has taught me ... a runner running full speed toward a base almost never deviates more than 3 feet from the basepath (and remember - this is critical - the basepath that matters is the line between the runner and the base at the moment the tag began. Not before). A runner going out of the baseline almost always shows a very visible "running AROUND the feeling" look. When it happens, it's obvious.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 10:37am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Where were you when you made those calls at third base?? You might be able to sell those if you were going solo from behind the mound. But if you're working behind the plate and you've got this going on:

Quote:
Runner on 2nd is between 3rd and home when F3 throws to F5...
then there's no way in hell you can see a base path violation unless the runner going to third deviates by ten feet!
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I assume that a fielder was attempting to tag the runner when the runner left the base path by 3 or more feet?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

I can only remember 3 games I worked solo, there may be more, but I can't recall them. One was an adult wood bat summer league DH (actually that would be two games). Another was HS, and the last one was little kids on 60' bases.

An umpire working solo is at a disadvantage, to say the least. If I was working solo and called someone out for running out of their basepath I would take no grief about it. Likewise, if I called someone safe because I did not think they ran far enough out of their basepath to get called out I would also take no grief about it.

Actually, I think that would be true whether I was working solo or with a partner.
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You do the math.
The math is a little off. The average male in this country is actually less than 6 feet tall. The stride length while walking is about right, and the running stride is actually more than 3-4 feet (close to 5-6 depending on speed and runner height).

The key in judging this is how was the step made. If she stops running and then takes 1 step to the left or right, you most likely don't have a violation. If he takes 2 steps, then it is likely a violation.

While running it is tougher to call because you don't have a good look at the angle the runner turns.

As others have said, you could have an out of the base path call with 1 running step, or it could take 2 or 3 before the violation occurs.

The easiest way to judge this is not by the number or length of steps, but the reach of the fielder. If you know the fielder is in the line between the runner and the base when he has the ball, the base path becomes a direct line between the base and the runner. If the runner deviates so far that the fielder while reaching can't touch the runner, you may have a violation. If he can't touch the runner after a step and a reach, you have a violation because the average step is 2-3 feet and the average arm length is 2-3 feet from the shoulder. At a minimum that would be a foot over the 3 foot allowed.