The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 09:53am
Stirrer of the Pot

MLB Replay on Opening Day

So I read that there were a couple of overturns using replay yesterday in MLB play. I didn't see the plays in question, but I did see in the Nats/Mets game where replay was used to uphold a call. Quite frankly, I think it left a lot to be desired.

The call was a swipe tag at first base on a Nats batter-runner following an offline throw from third base. U1 pointed and then punched out the BR, signfiying that he saw a tag. Nats manager Matt Wiliams requested the replay, thinking that the tag attempt missed the BR.

The slo-mo replays they showed were terrible. In everyone of them, the BR screened F3's mitt during the tag. Now, what they showed on TV was probably limited to the Nats broadcast. The Mets' feed might've showed different angles, I dunno. But it does bring into question if these local broadcasts (versus what we might typically see on ESPN's Sunday night game) come with enough cameras to cover all potential angles on the field.

The call was upheld. No idea if that was because the rep in the mothership definitely saw a tag from an angle that wasn't shown on TV, or because he had no angle to give him conclusive evidence the tag was missed.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 12:53pm
In Time Out

Espinosa out as call upheld | MLB.com
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

There was a replay in the Cubs/Pirates game that was pretty good. Bob Davidson called a Cubs runner safe diving back in on a pickoff attempt, but the replays showed he was clearly out - tagged on the right shoulder probably 6 inches before he touched the bag.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 01:01pm
In Time Out

Close Call Sports & Umpire Ejection Fantasy League: Instant Replay
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

It also appears as if Bob Davidson actually shaved for a day game!
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 08:12am
Official & ***** Member

Fox SportsSouth had a good segment on how this works during last night's Braves pre-game. Apparently, there are 12 different angles available for review during each game.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2014, 06:04am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Instant replay has turned into a "mating dance." Here's how it's worked in my observation.

Close play occurs. Manager pops out of the dugout and goes on the field. Saunters over to the ump. Both turn and look toward the dugout and casually talk about whatever. Bench coach is on the phone with someone reviewing the play to give the coach the "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" - challenge or not. Once the "thumb" is given we either go to the review or not.

Granted, in the games I've watched, although those decisions only take a minute or so (before replay), they seem to happen a lot. Must have happened seven to eight times in yesterday's Nats vs Braves game.

Blech - so far.

PS - most times it seems the replay justifies the umps decision and they don't go to the replay as the call was either validated or too close to challenge.