View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 09:53am
Stirrer of the Pot

MLB Replay on Opening Day

So I read that there were a couple of overturns using replay yesterday in MLB play. I didn't see the plays in question, but I did see in the Nats/Mets game where replay was used to uphold a call. Quite frankly, I think it left a lot to be desired.

The call was a swipe tag at first base on a Nats batter-runner following an offline throw from third base. U1 pointed and then punched out the BR, signfiying that he saw a tag. Nats manager Matt Wiliams requested the replay, thinking that the tag attempt missed the BR.

The slo-mo replays they showed were terrible. In everyone of them, the BR screened F3's mitt during the tag. Now, what they showed on TV was probably limited to the Nats broadcast. The Mets' feed might've showed different angles, I dunno. But it does bring into question if these local broadcasts (versus what we might typically see on ESPN's Sunday night game) come with enough cameras to cover all potential angles on the field.

The call was upheld. No idea if that was because the rep in the mothership definitely saw a tag from an angle that wasn't shown on TV, or because he had no angle to give him conclusive evidence the tag was missed.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker