The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
I don't see how a deep setup would cause the umpire to lose sight of a pitch that could (should) be called a strike if it was indeed a strike - if he is properly positioned to see pitches. The catcher actually has 8' to work with but rarely is more than a foot or two deeper than the batter. Call it where it crossed the plate, not where it hits the catcher's mitt. Any umpire that just calls those pitches Balls is really doing a disservice to the pitcher/catcher.

...sometimes you just gotta umpire.

FACT

And any umpire that officiates any type of decent baseball and calls balls and strikes strickly by where it crosses the plate, is not officiating decent baseball for very long.....!
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
FACT

And any umpire that officiates any type of decent baseball and calls balls and strikes strickly by where it crosses the plate, is not officiating decent baseball for very long.....!
I believe the MLB tracking systems (the official ones, not the TV network ones) measure the area over the plate and rate the umpires accordingly.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
I believe the MLB tracking systems (the official ones, not the TV network ones) measure the area over the plate and rate the umpires accordingly.
Except that the pitch that hits the bottom of the zone and then hits the dirt (not sure the exact criteria for this) is properly called a "ball" even in the tracking system
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 02:10pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
FACT

Well, if it's "decent baseball", then you aren't going to be dealing with catchers that set up that deep in the box in the first place. And it's easier to sell a Ball call on a pitch that hits the dirt after nicking the lower part of the zone in "decent baseball" because it will likely be a nasty breaker.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
FACT

Really? ...and any umpire that decides to just make up his own rules about the strike zone (i.e. "one off on the inside, two off on the outside") is not officiating decent baseball for very long...FACT!

But that begs the question as to what is considered "decent" baseball, I guess.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really? ...and any umpire that decides to just make up his own rules about the strike zone (i.e. "one off on the inside, two off on the outside") is not officiating decent baseball for very long...FACT!

But that begs the question as to what is considered "decent" baseball, I guess.
What ever works for you!!!!!
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Mitt question has been answered.

At 12U there's a high probability of a catcher too far back, and a high probability of strikes hitting the dirt because of it. (At the higher levels, there's more velocity/flatter pitches, so fewer in the dirt even if F2 is back). Fundamentally I rarely call a pitch in the dirt a strike. At younger ages in instructional league ball, I'm telling the catcher to move up and often his coach. Tournaments and older ages I'm staying quiet unless asked, and the too deep catcher will cost his pitcher some strikes.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter555 View Post
Mitt question has been answered.

At 12U there's a high probability of a catcher too far back, and a high probability of strikes hitting the dirt because of it. (At the higher levels, there's more velocity/flatter pitches, so fewer in the dirt even if F2 is back). Fundamentally I rarely call a pitch in the dirt a strike. At younger ages in instructional league ball, I'm telling the catcher to move up and often his coach. Tournaments and older ages I'm staying quiet unless asked, and the too deep catcher will cost his pitcher some strikes.
Too far back? Again I reference the size of the catcher's box (agreed, often not even marked on most fields) so how far is TOO FAR for you?...you even acknowledge that a strike can hit the dirt but yet you still say you won't call it a strike, why not? You want to send a message the the HC but by not calling it you are really giving the batter a huge advantage....that is not right at any level.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Too far back? Again I reference the size of the catcher's box (agreed, often not even marked on most fields) so how far is TOO FAR for you?...you even acknowledge that a strike can hit the dirt but yet you still say you won't call it a strike, why not? You want to send a message the the HC but by not calling it you are really giving the batter a huge advantage....that is not right at any level.
I dunno...I may not have much experience in this strike-calling thing, but if I call a pitch in the dirt a strike, I'm probably not going to be working much anymore.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Except that the pitch that hits the bottom of the zone and then hits the dirt (not sure the exact criteria for this) is properly called a "ball" even in the tracking system
just a side note, the MLB tracking system (ZE system) judges the ball from the time it crosses the plate, so initially that pitch that catches the bottom of the zone but hits the dirt is ruled as a missed pitch for the PU... obviously they don't want that called a strike so the supervisors go in each morning and when they check the performance of the umpires they reverse that decision and recalculate the PU's accuracy score so it is scored as a ball

edit: the balls and strikes system they use is the ZE system, the system they use for calls in the field is the SURE system

Last edited by flaump22; Fri Mar 28, 2014 at 09:56am.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaump22 View Post
just a side note, the MLB tracking system (SURE system) judges the ball from the time it crosses the plate, so initially that pitch that catches the bottom of the zone but hits the dirt is ruled as a missed pitch for the PU... obviously they don't want that called a strike so the supervisors go in each morning and when they check the performance of the umpires they reverse that decision and recalculate the PU's accuracy score so it is scored as a ball
I find that hard to believe that in THE PROS they actually cheat and call pitches that touch the strike zone balls. Where is that allowed in the rulebook.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Too far" is far enough that a potential strike in the bottom of the zone can hit the dirt before the mitt. Why won't I call it a strike? If I am fully convinced it was a strike, I'll call it. But I can't remember ever hearing it from a DC for not calling a pitch in the dirt a strike. It's a near certainty to hear from the OC if you call it a strike. And while I don't let potential coach "feedback" influence my calls, I tend to look at that the result as decent calibration/validation.

As for "giving the batter a huge advantage?" Hardly. The very bottom of the zone, and any decent coach will see it and correct his catcher. When I coached Legion ball, if I felt we weren't getting the bottom of the zone, I blamed the catcher far more often than the ump.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I was doing a HS Varsity game and the only negative feedback I heard was on a 12/6 curve ball that the F2 didn't get his mitt under and the pitch hit the dirt. The pitch was a strike all the way but the 1B coach said it hit the dirt.