The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Balk calls from "B" position (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/97402-balk-calls-b-position.html)

rbmartin Sat Mar 01, 2014 02:54pm

Balk calls from "B" position

High School ball. When I am at B position (with right handed pitcher) I am primarily looking for balks related to the feet and shoulders. My question is, since I do net possess X-ray vision to see the hands, should I totally defer to HP for "no-pause" balks or am I free to call one if it is really egregious?

dash_riprock Sat Mar 01, 2014 03:20pm

See a balk - call a balk.

UMP45 Sat Mar 01, 2014 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 925127)
High School ball. When I am at B position (with right handed pitcher) I am primarily looking for balks related to the feet and shoulders. My question is, since I do net possess X-ray vision to see the hands, should I totally defer to HP for "no-pause" balks or am I free to call one if it is really egregious?

This goes with the "you can't call a check swing from the middle" BS!

JRutledge Sat Mar 01, 2014 06:15pm

I do not understand how you could not see a balk on the "pause" with most pitchers in the B position. If you see it, call it.

Peace

jicecone Sat Mar 01, 2014 09:10pm

Quote:

About the only thing you can't clearly, see is separation of the hands before stepping off. Otherwise, you can certainly see the body come to a "complete and discernible stop".

bob jenkins Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:06am

Quote:

I am primarily looking for balks related to the feet and shoulders.

Stop that. Just look for legal movements. Period.

johnnyg08 Sun Mar 02, 2014 01:23am

Quote:

See a balk, call a balk.

johnnyg08 Sun Mar 02, 2014 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 925179)
Stop that. Just look for legal movements. Period.

I also agree w/ this.

CT1 Sun Mar 02, 2014 01:42pm

Quote:

am I free to call one if it is really egregious?

Not in my game. All I want you to do is see whether F1 disengages the rubber before feinting to first, and MAYBE a slight flinch of the pivot leg.

MD Longhorn Mon Mar 03, 2014 09:19am

Scratching CT1 as my potential partner on Arbiter...

Rich Mon Mar 03, 2014 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 925242)
Not in my game. All I want you to do is see whether F1 disengages the rubber before feinting to first, and MAYBE a slight flinch of the pivot leg.

Right. You wouldn't like working with me or all of my regular HS/college partners, then.

Welpe Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:09am

Quote:

What?

Moosie74 Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:15am

Quote:

What is the benefit of the plate umpire calling all balks? Which is what is implied if you wish to have the base umpire focus on just these two things. I haven't heard this teaching before, source, please?

JRutledge Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 925331)
Right. You wouldn't like working with me or all of my regular HS/college partners, then.

That attitude is the reason I was probably more frustrated in baseball with partners than any other sport. Too many of these "macho" rules people apply. The BU has nothing else really going on but watching the pitcher. And why in the pros you see someone other than the BU call a balk.

Peace

Dexter555 Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:12pm

Recipe for Disaster

Quote:

14 yr old Babe Ruth state tournament quarterfinal in WI. PU--senior guy--tells me something like this and I'm young enough to listen. Full count on batter. Pitcher rolls through motion, not even a hint of a stop. Even his grandma knew it was a balk. I lock up because the PU told me in pre-game these are his call. He's silent (well, except for "strike three!"). HC is coaching 1st and goes nuts (with good reason). We do nothing to improve the situation--we don't conference to discuss, he ignores everyone, and I for some reason decide I can't call it now 'cause it will look like the coach convinced me to call it. I can't think of anything to say to the coach except "No call, coach. Let's play ball." The offended team made it to the final and I have the plate. Coach makes a subtle balk comment at our pre-game. All I can do is wince.

20+ years later this call is one of the top three "I wish I could have that call back" to haunt me from my long officiating career.

If you see it, call it. Even if the PU tells you it's his call (of course, don't accept that instruction). Let him explain to the assignor what you did wrong.