The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Balk calls from "B" position

High School ball. When I am at B position (with right handed pitcher) I am primarily looking for balks related to the feet and shoulders. My question is, since I do net possess X-ray vision to see the hands, should I totally defer to HP for "no-pause" balks or am I free to call one if it is really egregious?
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

See a balk - call a balk.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
High School ball. When I am at B position (with right handed pitcher) I am primarily looking for balks related to the feet and shoulders. My question is, since I do net possess X-ray vision to see the hands, should I totally defer to HP for "no-pause" balks or am I free to call one if it is really egregious?
This goes with the "you can't call a check swing from the middle" BS!
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 06:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not understand how you could not see a balk on the "pause" with most pitchers in the B position. If you see it, call it.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
About the only thing you can't clearly, see is separation of the hands before stepping off. Otherwise, you can certainly see the body come to a "complete and discernible stop".
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am primarily looking for balks related to the feet and shoulders.
Stop that. Just look for legal movements. Period.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 01:23am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
See a balk, call a balk.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 09:53am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Stop that. Just look for legal movements. Period.
I also agree w/ this.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 01:42pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
am I free to call one if it is really egregious?
Not in my game. All I want you to do is see whether F1 disengages the rubber before feinting to first, and MAYBE a slight flinch of the pivot leg.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Scratching CT1 as my potential partner on Arbiter...

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 09:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Not in my game. All I want you to do is see whether F1 disengages the rubber before feinting to first, and MAYBE a slight flinch of the pivot leg.
Right. You wouldn't like working with me or all of my regular HS/college partners, then.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 11:09am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
What?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What is the benefit of the plate umpire calling all balks? Which is what is implied if you wish to have the base umpire focus on just these two things. I haven't heard this teaching before, source, please?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 11:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Right. You wouldn't like working with me or all of my regular HS/college partners, then.
That attitude is the reason I was probably more frustrated in baseball with partners than any other sport. Too many of these "macho" rules people apply. The BU has nothing else really going on but watching the pitcher. And why in the pros you see someone other than the BU call a balk.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Recipe for Disaster

Quote:
14 yr old Babe Ruth state tournament quarterfinal in WI. PU--senior guy--tells me something like this and I'm young enough to listen. Full count on batter. Pitcher rolls through motion, not even a hint of a stop. Even his grandma knew it was a balk. I lock up because the PU told me in pre-game these are his call. He's silent (well, except for "strike three!"). HC is coaching 1st and goes nuts (with good reason). We do nothing to improve the situation--we don't conference to discuss, he ignores everyone, and I for some reason decide I can't call it now 'cause it will look like the coach convinced me to call it. I can't think of anything to say to the coach except "No call, coach. Let's play ball." The offended team made it to the final and I have the plate. Coach makes a subtle balk comment at our pre-game. All I can do is wince.

20+ years later this call is one of the top three "I wish I could have that call back" to haunt me from my long officiating career.

If you see it, call it. Even if the PU tells you it's his call (of course, don't accept that instruction). Let him explain to the assignor what you did wrong.