The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

View Poll Results: Is this runner out of his baseline?
Yes 12 41.38%
No 17 58.62%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Running out of the baseline

Do you think this runner is out of his baseline?
TubeChop - USSSA Fall National Championship (Wood Bat/BBCOR) Part 1 (00:15)

Last edited by APG; Mon Jan 20, 2014 at 02:00pm. Reason: embedded clip
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Hard to tell since you can't see where he was in relation to the plate at the time the tag was attempted. He MAY have been running well to the outside (dugout side) of the baseline in which case his direct line, (his "basepath") (plus 3 feet) to the plate would put him outside of the catchers reach/lunge. But from what I see I'd go with "yes" - out of the basepath

Last edited by BSUmp16; Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 04:36pm. Reason: Corrected "basepath" to "baseline" and vice versa per Rich Ives and OBR
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
Hard to tell since you can't see where he was in relation to the plate at the time the tag was attempted. He MAY have been running well to the outside (dugout side) of the basepath in which case his direct line (plus 3 feet) to the plate would put him outside of the catchers reach/lunge. But from what I see I'd go with "yes" - out of the baseline
How does his relation to the plate play into this?

If you freeze it when the catcher starts his tag attempt, the runner is already in the grass on the foul side of the line. I don't think there's any way he goes more than three feet to avoid the catcher's tag once it is attempted. I have nothing on this.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
How does his relation to the plate play into this?
Because that's the definition of basepath.

As for my thoughts, pretty much the same as BS's.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

What zm1283 said.

Way too many people can't separate "the baseline" from "his baseline" and mess up the call.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
What zm1283 said.

Way too many people can't separate "the baseline" from "his baseline" and mess up the call.
That's why I used the term "basepath" to denote the direct path between the bases and "baseline" to denote the line established by the runner between himself and the base to which he is running. In this case the basePATH is a direct line between 3rd and home. As I said in my post, I can't tell exactly what the runner's baseLINE is. However, in this situation the end point of both the baseline and the basepath is home plate
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's why I used the term "basepath" to denote the direct path between the bases and "baseline" to denote the line established by the runner between himself and the base to which he is running. In this case the basePATH is a direct line between 3rd and home. As I said in my post, I can't tell exactly what the runner's baseLINE is. However, in this situation the end point of both the baseline and the basepath is home plate
Problem here is that the actual OBR rule uses the term "his base path" for the runner.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

His basepath is established when a play is attempted on him. The basepath is a direct line between the runners position and the base he is going to or coming from. Judging from this video, I have nothing. Runner is safe. The umpire should be more enthusiastic with his call.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

My point was that the plate isn't relevant until the tag is attempted. I might have misinterpreted BSUmp's original post.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Problem here is that the actual OBR rule uses the term "his base path" for the runner.
Ok - Then swap "basepath" for "baseline" and vice versa in my original post - better?
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 06:39pm
Stop staring at me swan.

At first glance which is what this umpire had...I'm saying not out of his base path. I can see the other side too though.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 09:11pm
Veteran College Umpire

Out of the baseline. Catcher's standing on the foul line, and in the video the runner took a step further away from him - making it more than an arm's length. Of course, the plate umpire had a little different angle AND he could see the entire path of the baserunner AND he didn't call him out so...NOT out of the baseline. Or not.

JJ
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Out of the baseline. Catcher's standing on the foul line, and in the video the runner took a step further away from him - making it more than an arm's length. Of course, the plate umpire had a little different angle AND he could see the entire path of the baserunner AND he didn't call him out so...NOT out of the baseline. Or not.

JJ
Arm's length from what?
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 02:13am
Is this a legal title?

I don't know if he was, but based on that view, I think I would have called him out. In order to judge the three feet, once a tag is attempted I watch the second and third steps.

Usually the first "go-around" step (if the runner is going to the back side of the plate) is with the right leg, and covers three feet. That's what this runner did. The second step is a recovery step. If that step crosses the go-around step, I have a violation. That runner's did not, so nothing--yet.

The third step should take the runner back toward his original path. This runner's third step appeared from that angle to be farther from his original path than the go-around step. I'd say he's out of his baseline.

If I had that PU's view, I might not think so.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2014, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you're going to do that, I would suggest reversing your terms. Base LINE is defined - it's the path between bases. The rule we're discussing says base PATH - which (most often, at least) means the path the runner is on.

West Houston Mike