The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 19, 2013, 11:59pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Was the play argued? Were there ejections? I'm sure the players, manager, staff all have a dog in the fight. They obviously expect that to be an out. I didn't see the game where this play occurred.

I'm not arguing that the "correct" call is safe....but if they don't come unglued about it, and trust me I'm sure they saw it the exact same way that we did, this is an example of where replay is bad in baseball
I agree. The play to me should be an out. I'm just saying there was clearly not a tag, so instant replay would have to overturn it, unfortunately. Unless they make a rule change.
Old Mon Oct 21, 2013, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

After the game, even Mattingly said that he was out and he would not use instant replay to change the call, even if it was available. That's the game.
Old Mon Oct 21, 2013, 07:19am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
After the game, even Mattingly said that he was out and he would not use instant replay to change the call, even if it was available. That's the game.
Indeed it is and while that's what Mattingly would do, I'm sure there are plenty of managers who will challenge to keep a base runner in scoring position and save an out.
Old Mon Oct 21, 2013, 09:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Indeed it is and while that's what Mattingly would do, I'm sure there are plenty of managers who will challenge to keep a base runner in scoring position and save an out.
And once one manager starts challenging this type of call, the others will be forced to do so as not to play at a disadvantage.
Old Mon Oct 21, 2013, 12:43pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
I'm rather surprised by that response, given that what started it all was a boot by Pedroia. If he had fielded it cleanly, I can see some justification for not wanting to challenge. But because Pedroia had to rush the throw which, IMO, led to Drew coming off early so that he could get a good throw lane to first, the call should have been challenged.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Oct 21, 2013, 03:21pm
AremRed

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I'm rather surprised by that response, given that what started it all was a boot by Pedroia. If he had fielded it cleanly, I can see some justification for not wanting to challenge. But because Pedroia had to rush the throw which, IMO, led to Drew coming off early so that he could get a good throw lane to first, the call should have been challenged.
You guys are talking about two different plays.
Old Mon Oct 21, 2013, 03:34pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
You guys are talking about two different plays.
Sorry; that's what I get for staying on topic.

{Edited to add} But my point is still relevant. In the Cards/Dodgers play, there was no boot. The throw was on target, got there well before the runner, Molina was in position to make the play, and the runner crashed into him while he held the ball. So the out call is justifiable, even if technically a tag never happened. I can fully understand why Mattingly wouldn't challenge it.

Now, if Molina had bobbled the ball and then secured it just a split second before the collision, or if the throw was off-line and didn't afford Molina the opportunity to turn toward the runner, I would expect a challenge in that case, the same as I would have expected a challenge in the OP play.

But this is all academic for now. We have no idea how things will change once the challenge system is put into place. It's easy for Mattingly to say what he said since he had no opportunity to throw the red flag.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker

Last edited by Manny A; Mon Oct 21, 2013 at 03:47pm.