The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 04, 2003, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Whadda ya think? Been using the box for twelve years, but thinking about trying out the scissors for a while just because I kind of like the idea of the built-in pause you get when you stand up.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2003, 08:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by VaUmp
Whadda ya think? Been using the box for twelve years, but thinking about trying out the scissors for a while just because I kind of like the idea of the built-in pause you get when you stand up.
The box stance does not pre-clude the pause.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2003, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

I use a mixture of stances

Almost exclusivley the wide box stance... but occasionally along comes a five foot nothing batter that wants to see if he can't get walked by squeezing his strike zone down to nothing by scrunching over and squatting... into a position where he couldn't possibly swing the bat. Usually, one strike call for a pitch that is at his chin or shoulders gets him to stand up...

However, for this occasion you might see me switch to a scissors stance because I can easily get a little lower

As you have noted the scissors stance creates a little pause because it is more difficult to get up from a kneeling position. This may do something for the timing of your calls but it also makes you more vulnerable for interfering with the catcher's movements.

I use the scissors very sparingly and always with the caution and alertness in my mind that I must work extra hard to stay out of the catcher's way.

Oooops. I thought I submitted this several hours ago... it's been sitting on my desktop paitently waiting for the Submit Reply button.... well here goes... hope it is still pertinent.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2003, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Box

Switched from the scissors to the box, mainly on the recommendation of my mentors. However, I found two things that were better about the box:

1.) Improved mobility. I could move out of the catcher's way faster, plus I can get down the line and/or follow the ball better.

2.) Increased stamina. The box allows for better back position, taking off unnecessary stress. My back never hurts anymore, even after two consecutive plate games.

I, too, use the wide stance. It helps me get lower for the smaller fellers. I adjust width and height, though, as the players get bigger. When someone crowds the plate, I move from the slot to either right over the catcher or a little bit outside.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 05:31am
Official Forum Member

For me personally...

I started out using the box. Then I went to the scissors because I thot it would be easier on my legs and knees. I was wrong.

Not only was it more strenuous, but positioning seemed to be a problem for me. Like Tony and Striker have mentioned, opening up from the catcher is much easier from the box.

But like me, I had to try them out for myself. I'm back to the box, and don't see myself going back.

I think ya gotta give the scissors a try and see which is best for you.

I don't know about using both during one game though. If ya start from the box, end with the box. I feel if you go changing stances during the game, coach's and player's will see that as inconsistant. I would doubt if you can find a consistant zone because of changing stances. JMO
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I have tried both stances before myself, but I prefer the box over the scissors. I also agree that it does your back better then the scissors does. I also agree that it gives you easier mobility getting out of the way of the catcher.

Probably, the biggest advantage of the box over the scissors is it gives a better view of the plate overall. Even if the catcher cuts you off from seen the outside corner clearly, you can still sneak over the catcher's outside shoulder to see the inside corner. In my opinion, I do not believe the scissors gives you this opportunity, nor do I believe that the scissors gives you the best look at the plate or the strike zone.
Old Sat Aug 09, 2003, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Went to the Box about 11 years ago and will never go back. I instantly seen more of everthing and started calling a lot more strikes. Consistency also improved.

As others have mentioned, you have to try different things until you become comfortable with it . It too me 6-7 years before I changed.

Good Luck