View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 04, 2003, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

I use a mixture of stances

Almost exclusivley the wide box stance... but occasionally along comes a five foot nothing batter that wants to see if he can't get walked by squeezing his strike zone down to nothing by scrunching over and squatting... into a position where he couldn't possibly swing the bat. Usually, one strike call for a pitch that is at his chin or shoulders gets him to stand up...

However, for this occasion you might see me switch to a scissors stance because I can easily get a little lower

As you have noted the scissors stance creates a little pause because it is more difficult to get up from a kneeling position. This may do something for the timing of your calls but it also makes you more vulnerable for interfering with the catcher's movements.

I use the scissors very sparingly and always with the caution and alertness in my mind that I must work extra hard to stay out of the catcher's way.

Oooops. I thought I submitted this several hours ago... it's been sitting on my desktop paitently waiting for the Submit Reply button.... well here goes... hope it is still pertinent.