The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 11:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
Let's change the sitch just a bit. Let's say the B-R in this play was in the running lane the whole way, but on his last stride the ball hits him just like it did here. In the video, notice that the ball hits the runner just about the same time his foot is coming down on the bag. Does that change the call?
Likely. If he comes out on the last step, he's going to be legal. If he runs ALL THE WAY out of the lane, he's going to get called for RLI as long as F3 is able to field a throw absent the interference.
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 11:47am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
Let's change the sitch just a bit. Let's say the B-R in this play was in the running lane the whole way, but on his last stride the ball hits him just like it did here. In the video, notice that the ball hits the runner just about the same time his foot is coming down on the bag. Does that change the call?
Yes. By interpretation, BR is allowed to take his last step in fair territory so that he can touch the base.

Assuming, of course, that he doesn't do anything to intentionally interfere.
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, this play was ruled incorrectly. In PRO and College baseball, the B/R can take any path he wishes to first base, however, he runs the risk of getting called for interference if he is outside the runner's lane on the last 45 feet to the base EXCEPT for his last step, stride or when he is in the immediate vicinity of the base, he is allowed to be outside the lane.

The fact that he was outside the entire way is NOT illegal and does not come into play UNLESS he interferes with a quality throw between the beginning of the 45 ft lane until a step, stride or immediate vicinity of 1st base. In the original play, the B/R gets hit by the throw too late (i.e, he was to close to the base) and thus is protected by the rule REGARDLESS of the path traveled for the first 87+ feet.

Don't get me wrong, if the call could go either way (ie. was B/R hit just before or after his final stride to the base) and he was running inside the whole time, then we tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the fielder and call the interference. However, the B/R was just too close to 1st base at the time he got hit by throw and thus, should NOT have been called for interference (at PRO & NCAA levels).
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES View Post
Unfortunately, this play was ruled incorrectly. In PRO and College baseball, the B/R can take any path he wishes to first base, however, he runs the risk of getting called for interference if he is outside the runner's lane on the last 45 feet to the base EXCEPT for his last step, stride or when he is in the immediate vicinity of the base, he is allowed to be outside the lane.

The fact that he was outside the entire way is NOT illegal and does not come into play UNLESS he interferes with a quality throw between the beginning of the 45 ft lane until a step, stride or immediate vicinity of 1st base. In the original play, the B/R gets hit by the throw too late (i.e, he was to close to the base) and thus is protected by the rule REGARDLESS of the path traveled for the first 87+ feet.

Don't get me wrong, if the call could go either way (ie. was B/R hit just before or after his final stride to the base) and he was running inside the whole time, then we tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the fielder and call the interference. However, the B/R was just too close to 1st base at the time he got hit by throw and thus, should NOT have been called for interference (at PRO & NCAA levels).
This is not correct. The B/R must be in the lane all the way. Only then is he is entitled to leave the lane on his last stride and not be (potentially) guilty of unintentional INT.
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 12:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
This is not correct. The B/R must be in the lane all the way. Only then is he is entitled to leave the lane on his last stride and not be (potentially) guilty of unintentional INT.
Why let the written word get in the way of a perfectly good theory?
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Not what Wendelstedt teaches (at least in their 2011 WUM):

"A runner that is running the entire distance outside of the running lane will not be protected if he interferes with a play at first base, even if it is in his last stride or step to the base. In order to be protected, this last step must be when he first exits the running lane."
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

And the WUM interp for a quality throw:

"Just because a fielder must leave the bag to catch the throw does not prohibit calling interference for running outside of the running lane. The determination is not whether the throw is true, or not, but whether it could still reasonably retire the runner. Fielders can position themselves in anywhere to field a throw as long as they are in the act of fielding."
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post

"A runner that is running the entire distance outside of the running lane will not be protected if he interferes with a play at first base, even if it is in his last stride or step to the base. In order to be protected, this last step must be when he first exits the running lane."
If that is true, then I stand corrected for PRO ball interp... although I wonder why this is not specified in the MLB or MiLB Umpire manuals? That is not the way the rule was taught at JEAPU though???

Now you have me questioning NCAA interp. I have not heard the Wendelstedt interp being applied to NCAA but I guess it would also apply since NCAA changed their rule to match the PRO rule about 5 yrs ago????
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think that's also almost word-for-word in the NCAA rule book (but I don't have the time to look it up right now).
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think that's also almost word-for-word in the NCAA rule book (but I don't have the time to look it up right now).
You have to read more into the NCAA wording to get the WUM interp:

"A.R. 1—If the batter-runner is outside the running lane and alters the throw or interferes with the attempted catch of the thrown ball or is hit by the throw, the batter-runner shall be called out. Exception—The batter-runner is permitted to exit the three-foot running lane by means of a step, stride, reach or slide in the immediate vicinity of first base and for the sole purpose
of touching first or attempting to avoid a tag. He may exit the running lane on his last stride or step if he has been running legally within the running lane up to that point.
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA 7-11-p

Quote:
In running the last half of the distance from home plate to first base while the ball is being fielded to first base, the batter-runner runs outside the 3-foot restraining line or inside the foul line and, in so doing, interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, except that the batter may go outside these lines to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball;
Quote:
A.R. 1 -- If the batter-runner is outside the running lane and alters the throw or interferes with the attempted catch of the thrown ball or is hit by the throw, the batter-runner shall be called out. Exception --The batter-runner is permitted to exit the three-foot running lane by means of a step, stride, reach or slide in the immediate vicinity of first base and for the sole purpose of touching first or attempting to avoid a tag. He may exit the running lane on his last stride or step if he has been running legally within the running lane up to that point.
The runner must run within the lane when the ball is being fielded to first base, if he wants to be exempt from a potential interference call. If this were and NCAA game, he did not comply with 7-11-p; he has therefore violated the rule. He did not comply with the AR either; one must be within the lane to exit the lane in the immediate vicinity of the bag.

This play really seems like a clear cut case of interference. The BR was never within the lane, therefore he is not entitled to the protection accorded a runner exiting the lane as it was not possible for him to exit.
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If that is true, then I stand corrected for PRO ball interp... although I wonder why this is not specified in the MLB or MiLB Umpire manuals? That is not the way the rule was taught at JEAPU though???

Now you have me questioning NCAA interp. I have not heard the Wendelstedt interp being applied to NCAA but I guess it would also apply since NCAA changed their rule to match the PRO rule about 5 yrs ago????
At an Evans clinic a few years ago I got the impression that he felt the RL rule was an anachronism. So a difference in how he would rule might be possible.
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

MY BAD :confused:

duplicate

Last edited by UES; Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 01:56pm.
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

My bad

This IS interference for PRO & NCAA too!

Sorry for misleading everyone - looks like if the runner wants to be protected for leaving the runner's lane in his last stride, he must be in the runner's lane the entire way to 1st base.

Don't RH batters, for the most part, tend to run inside the foul line on ground balls in the infield????
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At an Evans clinic a few years ago I got the impression that he felt the RL rule was an anachronism. So a difference in how he would rule might be possible.
Thanks for mentioning that Jim - I knew I wasn't just "theorizing" like someone mentioned. That must have been how we were instructed back in the early 2000s but the rule has changed/evolved since then.... which I think is for the better anyways