The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Babe Ruth League Rules

I know (well, I think I know) that Babe Ruth is "OBR, except..."

Does anyone have a list of or a link to the exceptions? (16 or 16-18 division, if it matters)

Thanks
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I've got the 2013 rule book at home, Bob. I can look it up and Email you the details.

Seeya this weekend in the state tournament!
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I know (well, I think I know) that Babe Ruth is "OBR, except..."

Does anyone have a list of or a link to the exceptions? (16 or 16-18 division, if it matters)

Thanks
Re-entry, re-entry of used players if injury or ejection occurs, pitcher removed for two trips is removed from the mound as a pitcher only not the game, malicious contact rule at the plate only, no tobacco, no jewelry, batting helmets with double ear flaps, pitching limitations, BBCOR or wood bats. There are some more esoteric rules, like baseballs must be Rawlings with BRO or RBRO for tournament play, but those listed above are the ones umpires should know.

Unlike high school catchers are not required to wear full ear protection, there is no FPSR, and of course obstruction is OBR.
Old Wed Jul 10, 2013, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Re-entry, re-entry of used players if injury or ejection occurs, pitcher removed for two trips is removed from the mound as a pitcher only not the game, malicious contact rule at the plate only, no tobacco, no jewelry, batting helmets with double ear flaps, pitching limitations, BBCOR or wood bats. There are some more esoteric rules, like baseballs must be Rawlings with BRO or RBRO for tournament play, but those listed above are the ones umpires should know.

Unlike high school catchers are not required to wear full ear protection, there is no FPSR, and of course obstruction is OBR.
Thanks. Can you describe more fully the re-entry, re-entry of used players if injury or ejection occurs, malicious contact rule at the plate only, and pitching limitations?

I found the list of banned bats on the BR website; the others rule changes are self-explanatory.
Old Wed Jul 10, 2013, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Thanks. Can you describe more fully the re-entry, re-entry of used players if injury or ejection occurs, malicious contact rule at the plate only, and pitching limitations?

I found the list of banned bats on the BR website; the others rule changes are self-explanatory.
All starters may be removed for a sub, and re-enter later in same batting order, just like HS rules. Subs who have been removed are done. However, if all subs have been used and an injury or ejection occurs, a burned sub may be used. Purpose is to not penalize the team for injury or ejection after putting all their players into the game to get them playing time. Prior to rule change (yes it was a change), coaches would save at least one player for just this event. A pitcher removed due to 2 trips can go to another position immediately, he is not removed from the game. He can not come back to pitch if remove for 2 trips, but can if removed for 1 trip, ala MLB.

Malicious is defined as intentional and deliberate, and is judgment of the umpire. I alway say "you know it when you see "it" and every time I have seen it results in instantaneous out and ejection (both of my son's were catchers so I know it when I see it). MC over-rules obstruction by the way. Rule applies at the plate only and of course most likely location. Obstruction is by OBR rule.

I will correct myself on pitching rules for 16-18, there are no restrictions like there are for all ages under 16, but coaches are encouraged to be sensible.
Old Thu Jul 11, 2013, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Thank you.