The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Babe Ruth League Rules (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/95482-babe-ruth-league-rules.html)

bob jenkins Tue Jul 09, 2013 08:51am

Babe Ruth League Rules

I know (well, I think I know) that Babe Ruth is "OBR, except..."

Does anyone have a list of or a link to the exceptions? (16 or 16-18 division, if it matters)

Thanks

UMP25 Tue Jul 09, 2013 01:03pm

I've got the 2013 rule book at home, Bob. I can look it up and Email you the details.

Seeya this weekend in the state tournament! :p

DG Tue Jul 09, 2013 08:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 899614)
I know (well, I think I know) that Babe Ruth is "OBR, except..."

Does anyone have a list of or a link to the exceptions? (16 or 16-18 division, if it matters)

Thanks

Re-entry, re-entry of used players if injury or ejection occurs, pitcher removed for two trips is removed from the mound as a pitcher only not the game, malicious contact rule at the plate only, no tobacco, no jewelry, batting helmets with double ear flaps, pitching limitations, BBCOR or wood bats. There are some more esoteric rules, like baseballs must be Rawlings with BRO or RBRO for tournament play, but those listed above are the ones umpires should know.

Unlike high school catchers are not required to wear full ear protection, there is no FPSR, and of course obstruction is OBR.

bob jenkins Wed Jul 10, 2013 08:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 899688)
Re-entry, re-entry of used players if injury or ejection occurs, pitcher removed for two trips is removed from the mound as a pitcher only not the game, malicious contact rule at the plate only, no tobacco, no jewelry, batting helmets with double ear flaps, pitching limitations, BBCOR or wood bats. There are some more esoteric rules, like baseballs must be Rawlings with BRO or RBRO for tournament play, but those listed above are the ones umpires should know.

Unlike high school catchers are not required to wear full ear protection, there is no FPSR, and of course obstruction is OBR.

Thanks. Can you describe more fully the re-entry, re-entry of used players if injury or ejection occurs, malicious contact rule at the plate only, and pitching limitations?

I found the list of banned bats on the BR website; the others rule changes are self-explanatory.

DG Wed Jul 10, 2013 09:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 899721)
Thanks. Can you describe more fully the re-entry, re-entry of used players if injury or ejection occurs, malicious contact rule at the plate only, and pitching limitations?

I found the list of banned bats on the BR website; the others rule changes are self-explanatory.

All starters may be removed for a sub, and re-enter later in same batting order, just like HS rules. Subs who have been removed are done. However, if all subs have been used and an injury or ejection occurs, a burned sub may be used. Purpose is to not penalize the team for injury or ejection after putting all their players into the game to get them playing time. Prior to rule change (yes it was a change), coaches would save at least one player for just this event. A pitcher removed due to 2 trips can go to another position immediately, he is not removed from the game. He can not come back to pitch if remove for 2 trips, but can if removed for 1 trip, ala MLB.

Malicious is defined as intentional and deliberate, and is judgment of the umpire. I alway say "you know it when you see "it" and every time I have seen it results in instantaneous out and ejection (both of my son's were catchers so I know it when I see it). MC over-rules obstruction by the way. Rule applies at the plate only and of course most likely location. Obstruction is by OBR rule.

I will correct myself on pitching rules for 16-18, there are no restrictions like there are for all ages under 16, but coaches are encouraged to be sensible.

bob jenkins Thu Jul 11, 2013 06:33am

Thank you.