The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 07, 2013, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
BOO costs Giants a run

Video | MLB.com Multimedia Gotta love it - Right after Posey's 'double', McCarver: 'They had the right guy up there with the drawn in infield!' ooops!

And of course, Timmy kept screaming that POSEY was out - until they bring in their 'expert' Rosenthal.

But seriously, how - with all the compuers, coaches, Jumbotrons, etc - somebody still gives the ump the wrong lineup card
Old Sun Jul 07, 2013, 07:57pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Isn't it ironic that in the video, before all the fun began and after the hit, Timmy Mac specifically says, "They had the right guy up there." (obviously referring to the best hitter to get the job done in that situation for the Giants).
Old Sun Jul 07, 2013, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Iv'e had BOO several times, but always appealed too early or too late.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 01:14pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
But seriously, how - with all the compuers, coaches, Jumbotrons, etc - somebody still gives the ump the wrong lineup card
It wasn't just the umpire. The Dodgers had the "wrong" lineup card in their dugout.

I wonder what was said, both before the game when the full lineup was presented to the fans, and before Posey came up as the improper batter, by the Public Announcer. I'm guessing the PA also had the "wrong" card.

So, everyone was "wrong" except for the Giants coaching staff.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

ESPN Radio mentioned that if the BOO was not caught before the inning ended, the Giants would have had to bat with the wrong lineup the rest of the game.

Sigh.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 02:01pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
ESPN Radio mentioned that if the BOO was not caught before the inning ended, the Giants would have had to bat with the wrong lineup the rest of the game.

Sigh.
Well, the "E" in ESPN does stand for Entertainment. And they do put that ahead of Sports. So it's not surprising...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
It wasn't just the umpire. The Dodgers had the "wrong" lineup card in their dugout.

I wonder what was said, both before the game when the full lineup was presented to the fans, and before Posey came up as the improper batter, by the Public Announcer. I'm guessing the PA also had the "wrong" card.

So, everyone was "wrong" except for the Giants coaching staff.
The Giants had just installed a new electronic system which ensures that a display in the dugout, the display available to the media, and the main scoreboard all have exactly the same info.

The lineup handed to the umpires, to the Dodgers, and also posted in the dugout had one order, while all other displays, including a nice big one in the dugout, had the wrong order. I believe the transcription mistake was made by one of the bench coaches.

For the last month or so, Posey has batted third, and the correct lineup was unusual.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

To Manny A: The CORRECT lineup card is the one presented to the opposing team. BTW, this BOO is a measure of redemption for LAD manager Mattingly's "double line cross" vs the Giants.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

What was funny if you watch the video, it shows the next batter up as being #48 or the Dodgers......(not sure, but it wasn't Posey).

After checking the Box Score, Posey did bat next however if you watched the video closely it was confusing for a second.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 03:42pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCity08 View Post
To Manny A: The CORRECT lineup card is the one presented to the opposing team. BTW, this BOO is a measure of redemption for LAD manager Mattingly's "double line cross" vs the Giants.
Not sure what you're alluding to. By rule, the OFFICIAL lineup card is the one retained by the UIC at home plate. The one presented to the opposing team should be a copy that the UIC has verified is identical to the one he retains.

That's what the rule says. What is actually practiced at the plate conference, I don't have a clue since I don't pay that close attention from either the stands at the stadium or in front of my flat screen.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The CORRECT lineup card is the one presented to the opposing team.
Um ... no it's not.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

The UIC verifies that the lineup card presented to him, the UIC, is the same as the lineup card presented to the opposition. Thus the lineup card presented to the opposition is verified correct before the team representatives leave home plate. Bottom line, by definition, the Dodgers had the correct lineup card.
I don't understand why this is subject to debate. No one has argued that the umpires made an incorrect call. The umpires made the correct call of BOO, which, AGAIN, by definition, means the Giants did not comply with the correctly submitted lineup card. EC08
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The UIC verifies that the lineup card presented to him, the UIC, is the same as the lineup card presented to the opposition. Thus the lineup card presented to the opposition is verified correct before the team representatives leave home plate. Bottom line, by definition, the Dodgers had the correct lineup card.
I don't understand why this is subject to debate. No one has argued that the umpires made an incorrect call. The umpires made the correct call of BOO, which, AGAIN, by definition, means the Giants did not comply with the correctly submitted lineup card. EC08
You made it sound like the one given to the Dodgers is the official lineup. Since that one matches the OFFICIAL lineup, it is a correct lineup but not THE correct lineup.

Rita
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 07:00am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
I don't understand why this is subject to debate. No one has argued that the umpires made an incorrect call.
Exactly. So who's debating what? Other than what you said--that the "CORRECT" line-up card is the one presented to the opposing team--there is no debate.

Assume the following: Team A's manager presents his line-up (original and copy) to the UIC at the plate. Somehow, the copy is not exactly the same as the original. And somehow, the UIC fails to verify that as he hands the copy over to the opposing team's manager.

By what you said, the copy that the opposing manager has, not the original the UIC keeps, is "CORRECT". By rule, that's not the case.

You just need to be careful with what you say here. Yes, 99 times out of 100, you would be right. But there's always that one chance that things get screwed up during the exchange.
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

The lineup card that I have in my book is the OFFCIAL/CORRECT/ONLY ONE THAT MATTERS lineup card. All of the others are UNOFFICIAL copies. Any time that I have a question about the lineup, I look at my lineup card, compare with what the book has written down, or lineup the questioning coach has.