The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

First time for me!

Last night in a Senior Legend game, the batter took strike 3 right down the pipe. He stepped out of the box and hit the ground with his $400+ bat and it separated/broke in two just like Bo Jackson's wooden bat over his knee.

Everybody in both dugouts were ROTFL and the coaches did nothing but chuckle.

I wonder what my coach/parent would have done if I or my brothers had done the same thing?

It is a different world.

Last edited by Robert E. Harrison; Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 01:06pm.
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 04:22pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
Last night in a Senior Legend game, the batter took strike 3 right down the pipe. He stepped out of the box and hit the ground with his $400+ bat and it separated/broke in two just like Bo Jackson's wooden bat over his knee.

I wonder what my coach/parent would have done if I or my brothers had done the same thing?

It is a different world.

If either MTD, Jr., or Andy had done that, the guilty party would have played the rest of his H.S. career using wood bats which he would have had to buy himself.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post

It is a different world.
I've never had a bat like that break when someone hit it on the ground. I did have a brand new (first game in use) composite softball bat break this past high school season though. Batter swings and I see the barrel of the bat going flying towards third, while the ball is a lazy pop to the pitcher. I think she just lost the bat, until I see the handle in her hands. The bat had completely separated when she hit the ball. I wanted to see it after the game (I was the BU), but the parents had already gotten it so they could take it back to get a refund. No bat should break on one of it's first swings in game action.

What would my parents have done if I ever did that to a bat? I would have been borrowing a bat from the team because I would not have gotten another bat. The funny thing is my mom had no problem getting my father a new softball bat when he tried wrapping his around a fence post after striking out in a SP game. If he would have hit the ball as hard as he hit the post the ball would have gone 500 feet.
Old Fri Jul 05, 2013, 01:09pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I've never had a bat like that break when someone hit it on the ground. I did have a brand new (first game in use) composite softball bat break this past high school season though. Batter swings and I see the barrel of the bat going flying towards third, while the ball is a lazy pop to the pitcher. I think she just lost the bat, until I see the handle in her hands. The bat had completely separated when she hit the ball. I wanted to see it after the game (I was the BU), but the parents had already gotten it so they could take it back to get a refund. No bat should break on one of it's first swings in game action.
Might've been one of those Louisville Slugger oneX bats that were being recalled due to the very problem you witnessed. All codes (NCAA, NFHS, ASA, etc.) banned the three different models of oneX bats this year.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker