The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 11:02am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
In Fed, this is a balk - the "hybrid stance" which was a PoE this year
This doesn't sound like the hybrid stance to me. It sounds like the pitcher came set with his feet aligned toward home, not opened up (left foot in the direction of the 45-foot point of the first base line) which is what I thought the hybrid stance entailed. But then he lifted his free foot, planted it behind him towards first, and then lifted it again to stride home.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
This doesn't sound like the hybrid stance to me. It sounds like the pitcher came set with his feet aligned toward home, not opened up (left foot in the direction of the 45-foot point of the first base line) which is what I thought the hybrid stance entailed. But then he lifted his free foot, planted it behind him towards first, and then lifted it again to stride home.
The hybrid stance is (a) pivot foot "across" the rubber as if in the windup, AND (b) free foot in front of (a line through the front edge of) the rubber as if in the set.

It has nothing to do with the angle of the free foot. Maybe we're just describing the same thing in different ways.
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 11:42am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The hybrid stance is (a) pivot foot "across" the rubber as if in the windup, AND (b) free foot in front of (a line through the front edge of) the rubber as if in the set.

It has nothing to do with the angle of the free foot. Maybe we're just describing the same thing in different ways.
I don't do FED baseball, so it may just be a misunderstanding on my part. I thought the hybrid referred to the "open" set stance that righties like to do with a runner at first.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I don't do FED baseball, so it may just be a misunderstanding on my part. I thought the hybrid referred to the "open" set stance that righties like to do with a runner at first.
That's legal. "Hybrid" means "part windup, part set" -- so the runner can't tell which is really being used.