The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Strange pitching motion: balk or no? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/95167-strange-pitching-motion-balk-no.html)

jTheUmp Thu May 30, 2013 09:18am

Strange pitching motion: balk or no?

FED rules, not that it really matters as far as I know:

Right-handed F1 sets up in a stretch position, with his right foot in contact with the pitchers plate and his left foot directly in front of his right.
F1 comes set and pauses.
Then F1 lifts his left foot, steps 'backward' with his left foot directly towards 1st base, plants his left foot, then steps towards home with his left foot and pitches towards the batter.

I'm probably not describing it very well... it kinda looks like how a pitcher will sometimes step backward toward 1st when pitching from the windup position... only he was in the set position.

Is this a balk or not? I can't see anything against this in 6-1-3 or 6-2-4, but I do have a hard time parsing 6-1-3.

bob jenkins Thu May 30, 2013 09:39am

I have it as a balk for "not going directly to the plate" (or whatever the specific wording is).

I think Wendelstadt says it's legal in OBR, but it's still a commitment to the plate so runners would steal on it all day long.

ozzy6900 Thu May 30, 2013 10:30am

Is he really stepping back with the free foot or is he just not taking a stride (as most pitchers do)? If he is truly stepping back, then I agree with Bob, that's a balk.

Rita C Thu May 30, 2013 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 896020)
FED rules, not that it really matters as far as I know:

Right-handed F1 sets up in a stretch position, with his right foot in contact with the pitchers plate and his left foot directly in front of his right.
F1 comes set and pauses.
Then F1 lifts his left foot, steps 'backward' with his left foot directly towards 1st base, plants his left foot, then steps towards home with his left foot and pitches towards the batter.

I'm probably not describing it very well... it kinda looks like how a pitcher will sometimes step backward toward 1st when pitching from the windup position... only he was in the set position.

Is this a balk or not? I can't see anything against this in 6-1-3 or 6-2-4, but I do have a hard time parsing 6-1-3.

It sounds like a Little League "windup from the stretch". That's legal in Little League 12 and under. But a balk in Juniors and above.

It would be a balk in high school rules also.

Rita

dash_riprock Thu May 30, 2013 11:10am

He stepped towards 1st and didn't throw there. Balk.

Rich Ives Thu May 30, 2013 12:17pm

He took two steps, not "a" step. Balk.

Toth Thu May 30, 2013 12:18pm

In Cal Ripen legal pitch. Babe Ruth and up, balk.

BigUmp56 Thu May 30, 2013 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toth (Post 896047)
In Cal Ripen legal pitch. Babe Ruth and up, balk.

Doesn't Cal Ripken have the modified diamond 70/50 and allow lead offs for certain ages now?

Tim.

umpjim Thu May 30, 2013 01:26pm

OBR at the MLB level allows Cliff Lee to do this:

Cliff Lee Delivers A Pitch - YouTube

In fact their is no restriction in OBR on free foot placement in the windup. I don't know if the youth leagues that use OBR have the same wording. In any case they will have to stop doing it to pitch in HS and College.

BigUmp56 Thu May 30, 2013 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 896058)
OBR at the MLB level allows Cliff Lee to do this:

Cliff Lee Delivers A Pitch - YouTube

In fact their is no restriction in OBR on free foot placement in the windup. I don't know if the youth leagues that use OBR have the same wording. In any case they will have to stop doing it to pitch in HS and College.

I'm pretty sure the discussion here was about doing this from the stretch, Jim.

Tim.

jTheUmp Thu May 30, 2013 01:58pm

Thanks, umpjim... it looked exactly like Cliff Lee's motion in the video below (only this kid was right-handed).

So I should've balked him then... (this league is based on FED rules with modifications: no pitcher's mound, 75' bases, 56' pitcher's plate distance, etc)...

I didn't, for 2 reasons:
1) wasn't sure if it was a balk or not.. had never seen it before and didn't want to tell a kid he couldn't do something that he was actually allowed to do.
2) The other team was having a field day stealing bases on him because of his motion. I figured, if this pitcher is ok with allowing 2 stolen bases for every runner, who am I to argue?

umpjim Thu May 30, 2013 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56 (Post 896064)
I'm pretty sure the discussion here was about doing this from the stretch, Jim.

Tim.

Cliff Lee's foot position is the same when he stretches or winds up. JP Howell is another example. You can tell whether they will wind up or stretch from other cues however.
Edited to add: I see what you are saying. The step back and stretch to a stop should preclude any further windup motion. I would agree. I don't think Lee or Howell do it that way.

bob jenkins Thu May 30, 2013 02:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 896069)
Cliff Lee's foot position is the same when he stretches or winds up. JP Howell is another example. You can tell whether they will wind up or stretch from other cues however.

And under OBR, the foot position doesn't matter. Under NCAA and FED it does (or is supposed to).

BigUmp56 Thu May 30, 2013 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 896069)
Edited to add: I see what you are saying. The step back and stretch to a stop should preclude any further windup motion. I would agree. I don't think Lee or Howell do it that way.

This is a decent video showing how Lee delivers the ball to the plate with and without runners. You'll see the difference.

Cliff Lee 2011 Highlights - YouTube

Tim.

BSUmp16 Thu May 30, 2013 07:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 896066)
Thanks, umpjim... it looked exactly like Cliff Lee's motion in the video below (only this kid was right-handed).

So I should've balked him then... (this league is based on FED rules with modifications: no pitcher's mound, 75' bases, 56' pitcher's plate distance, etc)...

I didn't, for 2 reasons:
1) wasn't sure if it was a balk or not.. had never seen it before and didn't want to tell a kid he couldn't do something that he was actually allowed to do.
2) The other team was having a field day stealing bases on him because of his motion. I figured, if this pitcher is ok with allowing 2 stolen bases for every runner, who am I to argue?

In Fed, this is a balk - the "hybrid stance" which was a PoE this year