The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 09, 2013, 06:37am
Stirrer of the Pot

Question on IFF Exception

When an IFF hits a runner who is on base, the rule has an exception that says the runner is not out. The question is, Is the ball dead at that point? Or does play remain live and runners may advance? OBR 7.08(f) does not say anything.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sun Jun 09, 2013, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

7.08f says the ball is dead. The exception aspect refers to the runner not being out. J/R explicitly says the ball is dead in this situation.
Old Sun Jun 09, 2013, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

It says right in 5.09 and 7.08 that the ball is dead. The only exception listed is that the runner is not out if hit by a declared IFF while in contact with the base. The status of the ball is not modified.
Old Sun Jun 09, 2013, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed. Of all the 234 "problems" in OBR, this is in the bottom 34.
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
OBR 7.08(f) does not say anything.
Err... yes it does.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 03:03pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Err... yes it does.
True for the main part of the rule when it deals with a runner getting hit, but not in the Exception on the IFF, so it leaves it to interpretation.

Similarly, 7.09(k) talks of a runner getting hit by a batted ball. It mentions that the runner is not out if that happens after the ball gets by a fielder or is deflected by a fielder. But it makes no mention that the ball is dead or not.

So if it is not dead when a runner gets hit by a deflected batted ball, one would believe the same is true on the IFF while on the base. After all, in both cases the runner is not called out, so there is no interference.

I didn't have access to an authoritative interpretation to check.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True for the main part of the rule when it deals with a runner getting hit, but not in the Exception on the IFF, so it leaves it to interpretation.

Similarly, 7.09(k) talks of a runner getting hit by a batted ball. It mentions that the runner is not out if that happens after the ball gets by a fielder or is deflected by a fielder. But it makes no mention that the ball is dead or not.

So if it is not dead when a runner gets hit by a deflected batted ball, one would believe the same is true on the IFF while on the base. After all, in both cases the runner is not called out, so there is no interference.

I'm not getting what you're saying. It very clearly says the ball is dead. The exception applies to the out - and that seems rather clear too.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Even if you think 7.09(k) is ambiguous, 5.09(f) is not.
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

I'm still trying to figure out how "the ball is dead" is either ambiguous or requires interpretation.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 07:13am
Stirrer of the Pot

Well, JMO, but if it was so definitive, J/R wouldn't be compelled to make that interpretation, and only cite 7.08(f) and not 5.09(f).
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, JMO, but if it was so definitive, J/R wouldn't be compelled to make that interpretation, and only cite 7.08(f) and not 5.09(f).
J/R is, and was intended to be, an re-organization of the rules of baseball. It started as the rules manual for an umpire school. It is not a collection of interpretations like e.g. the MLBUM or BRD.

So J/R are "compelled" to make the interpretation because the book intends to cover all the rules.