The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Calling "Time" on batters

What is the accepted philosophy for giving a batter time? When are we going to grant it and when are we not? I've heard varying opinions.

Are the philosophies universal, or is it different depending on the rule code you are playing under? Fed vs NCAA vs MLB?

Thanks guys!
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

I treat FED & NCAA batters the same. If the pitcher tries to pitch quickly to catch him off guard, or if he tries to freeze him, I'll grant him time. Other than that, there has to be a real good reason or it's "no, stay in here."
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 06:47am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
I treat FED & NCAA batters the same. If the pitcher tries to pitch quickly to catch him off guard, or if he tries to freeze him, I'll grant him time. Other than that, there has to be a real good reason or it's "no, stay in here."
From a game management perspective, I see no reason for refusing to grant time when it's obvious the pitcher isn't about to deliver the pitch. It's no big deal to do so, and both teams usually expect it.

The same is the case when a runner slides into a base and requests time. I've seen some umpires refuse to grant it because they feel the runner can get up and dust himself off without putting himself in peril of being tagged off the base. But really, are you disrupting the flow of the game that much by giving him time so he can get himself settled? Obviously if play is still unrelaxed because other runners are between bases, I wouldn't grant time. But if there is no possibility for a play, grant time and move on. Not doing so seems a little arrogant.

Back to the OP, I won't grant time if it's obvious the pitcher is about to deliver the ball, or if I feel the batter is asking for it too much. Otherwise, I have no problem to do so.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 08:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

I ended up having a semi-heated conversation with a coach earlier this week on this very topic.

His batter, on EVERY pitch, would hold up his hand while getting into the box so he could dig for 5+ seconds with his back foot. Finally, I told the batter to keep one foot in the box and we would not be holding up the game on every pitch. The batter didn't listen to me and I let the pitcher pitch when the kid has his hand up while digging. I made sure the batter wasn't looking down -- I'm not going to sacrifice safety -- and the batter got his hand on the bat just in time to foul the pitch off.

Naturally, the coach came out between innings and asked me what I said to his player. Naturally, I told him exactly what I told the batter.

Then the coach got annoyed. First he told me the batter could call time anytime he wanted. I told the coach, "No, he can't." Then he told me that the batter had 20 seconds between pitches and I had to hold back a laugh. I wasn't about to hold a rules clinic. I think the line I finally used (twice) was, "This is the way it's going to be today." Then I told him he needed to go back to the dugout.

I've not seen anything quite like this team (well, I did have them about 8 years ago in a regional playoff and I ended up ejecting an assistant coach) -- the catcher was openly arguing with the coach the entire game and eventually told the coach (from the plate, loud enough for all to hear) to "Stop talking. You're not helping us. Don't talk to us unless you have a play" and the coach just took this from the kid and spend the offensive innings pleading with the kid to act right, listen to him, and stop being a jerk. I almost felt sorry for the coach -- regardless of talent this kid would've been on the bench in my world.

And if the coach thinks he's going to take that from his catcher and yet be a jerk himself to me, he's got another thought coming.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I agree on the 'holding up the hand' thing. That is NOT calling for time out, or getting a time out from me, ever. I don't see it so much in high school, but a lot in the summer games.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
First he told me the batter could call time anytime he wanted.
I only coach baseball, but technically the coach is right. The batter could call time anytime (I'll be generous and say that by "call" the coach really meant "request"). He could also recite the Declaration of Independence if he wanted to. Nobody but the umpire, however, can grant a time out. I make sure when instructing my kids that they request time, the umpires grant it. Helps keeps things in perspective and avoid difficulties later.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I only coach baseball, but technically the coach is right. The batter could call time anytime (I'll be generous and say that by "call" the coach really meant "request"). He could also recite the Declaration of Independence if he wanted to. Nobody but the umpire, however, can grant a time out. I make sure when instructing my kids that they request time, the umpires grant it. Helps keeps things in perspective and avoid difficulties later.
I particularly like, "time blue please sir"

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 12:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I ended up having a semi-heated conversation with a coach earlier this week on this very topic.

His batter, on EVERY pitch, would hold up his hand while getting into the box so he could dig for 5+ seconds with his back foot. Finally, I told the batter to keep one foot in the box and we would not be holding up the game on every pitch. The batter didn't listen to me and I let the pitcher pitch when the kid has his hand up while digging. I made sure the batter wasn't looking down -- I'm not going to sacrifice safety -- and the batter got his hand on the bat just in time to foul the pitch off.

Naturally, the coach came out between innings and asked me what I said to his player. Naturally, I told him exactly what I told the batter.

Then the coach got annoyed. First he told me the batter could call time anytime he wanted. I told the coach, "No, he can't." Then he told me that the batter had 20 seconds between pitches and I had to hold back a laugh. I wasn't about to hold a rules clinic. I think the line I finally used (twice) was, "This is the way it's going to be today." Then I told him he needed to go back to the dugout.

I've not seen anything quite like this team (well, I did have them about 8 years ago in a regional playoff and I ended up ejecting an assistant coach) -- the catcher was openly arguing with the coach the entire game and eventually told the coach (from the plate, loud enough for all to hear) to "Stop talking. You're not helping us. Don't talk to us unless you have a play" and the coach just took this from the kid and spend the offensive innings pleading with the kid to act right, listen to him, and stop being a jerk. I almost felt sorry for the coach -- regardless of talent this kid would've been on the bench in my world.

And if the coach thinks he's going to take that from his catcher and yet be a jerk himself to me, he's got another thought coming.
I wish more umpires would stand up to coaches like this. Too often guys are afraid to be the bad guy.

Peace
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you could appeal to coach's reasonable side. Yah, I know...

"Coach, suppose your F1 was in a groove. Would you want me to allow batters to indiscriminantly call time to throw your pitcher off his rhythm? That kind of crap could get out of hand in a hurry." Optional:"Homey don't play that".
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 02:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehair View Post
If you could appeal to coach's reasonable side. Yah, I know...

"Coach, suppose your F1 was in a groove. Would you want me to allow batters to indiscriminantly call time to throw your pitcher off his rhythm? That kind of crap could get out of hand in a hurry." Optional:"Homey don't play that".
Yeah, that is going to work.

Peace