The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Did anyone ever think that maybe they are not looking at the same video that we are? I agree, that from the video we got to see, it was a HR but I cannot believe that 4 properly trained professionals can make such a bad call (by what we see).

JMHO
Well, after speaking to an old friend who is not retired from MLB, the umpires have access to every camera that is in the park, so they should have seen the same thing that we did. I also understand that Joe Torre is having a discussion with the entire crew about this matter.

It seems that after the pitching change fiasco the other day, Joe Torre is fuming about the competency of the MLB umpires. After the last couple of seasons, I think he is right.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, after speaking to an old friend who is not retired from MLB, the umpires have access to every camera that is in the park, so they should have seen the same thing that we did. I also understand that Joe Torre is having a discussion with the entire crew about this matter.

It seems that after the pitching change fiasco the other day, Joe Torre is fuming about the competency of the MLB umpires. After the last couple of seasons, I think he is right.
Is this the same Joe Torre who was cursing at the media after Game two of the World Series because all the media was asking him was about Clemens throwing a bat at Piazza?
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

MLB has no-one to balme but themselves. Until they take an active and serious role in umpire development we will not get the "best of the best" officials.

They should take a page from the NFL. We saw what happened in the NFL when replacement officials were used. I'm no so certian there is that much of a drastic differrence between the Minor league officials and the MLB officials. The beiggest difference is they hardly ever get a chance.

Pete Booth
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

I have no knowledge of business relationship between MLB and their umpires. But it has been suggested (elsewhere) that blame for there being no consequences for poor MLB umpire performance is on the collective bargaining agreement that umpires have with MLB. After the fiasco of 1999, I wonder if the umpire union has any real weight in these negotiations these days?
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 12:50pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Is that the same number they called when the other crew goofed the pitching rules? The PU got on the horn with someone, from the dugout phone. So that's a least five know-it-alls that contributed to that one.
What phone was he on? I'm guessing not the one to the bullpen.
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 06:03am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
MLB has no-one to balme but themselves. Until they take an active and serious role in umpire development we will not get the "best of the best" officials.

They should take a page from the NFL. We saw what happened in the NFL when replacement officials were used. I'm no so certian there is that much of a drastic differrence between the Minor league officials and the MLB officials. The beiggest difference is they hardly ever get a chance.

Pete Booth
Actually, MLB has dramatically improved their umpire development in the past few years. I can remember a time when there were "career" minor league umpires who clogged up the system & took spots from those trying to climb the ladder. Now, with injuries, in-season vacations & personal days-off, there are many more opportunities for rising AAA umpires to show what they can do in The Show.

The biggest difference (and it may not qualify as "drastic") between MLB and MiLB umpires is in the area of game management. As always, that requires lots of time to gain the necessary experience .
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 11:16pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
MLB has used Hernandez in the post-season 14 of the last 16 years. In one of those two years, he worked the All-Star game. Many other umpires in the bigs haven't had that level of success.

For example: CB Bucknor has only worked the postseason 3 times (just the division series) in his 17 years as a ML umpire. Tim McClelland (a crew chief) hasn't worked the postseason since 2009.

In other words, our perception of Hernandez and the MLB players' perception of Hernandez doesn't mean a damned thing. At least until now, MLB liked Hernandez -- we'll see if that changes.
In other words, if MLB thinks using Hernandez will help them increase revenues as they look to expand in Latin America, that's what they will do. Monetizing the brand is the goal, and if sacrificing excellence in umpiring will further that goal, that's what will happen.

Future growth is in Latin America, not in the USA, and that's the audience that's going to be pandered to.
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 11:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
In other words, if MLB thinks using Hernandez will help them increase revenues as they look to expand in Latin America, that's what they will do. Monetizing the brand is the goal, and if sacrificing excellence in umpiring will further that goal, that's what will happen.

Future growth is in Latin America, not in the USA, and that's the audience that's going to be pandered to.
That said, MLB would never assign people who would embarrass them. They think Hernandez is solid enough to be used in the post-season in 87.5% of the last 16 post-seasons.
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 11:27pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That said, MLB would never assign people who would embarrass them.
And yet, they do.
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 06:26am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
And yet, they do.
"Hindsight is 50-50." (Pat Dye)

The Erick Gregg days are over.