The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone else see this game? Can't remember the teams (we just watch to watch the officials, anyway, right?!)

Towards the end of the game, 3 pt attempt right in front of the table-side Trail who is straightlined. Ball goes in and he scores it a 3.

Center official IMMEDIATELY cracks his whistle and they go to the monitor. Foot was on the line and they get it right.

I was amazed that:

1) Center was looking over there as the shooter came off a baseline screen.

2) that he got it right!

Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

That's what also amazed me. 4 minutes left in the game.

I can see the lead peeking out to help as that's where the shooter came from, but the Center?

That's takes some big ones...but that's why he's there, and I'm here!
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 04:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

If the C didn't, who would have?
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

From how I read the description, this would be well within the C's field of vision, but beyond where he should be looking. So it shouldn't be much of a stretch for him to get this if he doesn't have something interesting happening at that moment. Also, as the off-side, outside official, doesn't he have the flight of the ball so the on-side official can watch the shooter back down to the ground? Which means he has to be aware when a shot is going up from the T's area. So if he's aware the shot is going up, and it's within his field of vision, I don't see why it would be unusual for him to have this. Oh, and according to Art McDonald (don't you love talk tapes from D-1 guys) we should be helping our partners with this call when their straightlined. :ramble off:
Old Fri Mar 18, 2005, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

I'd agree if the shot came from the top of the key, but if you didn't see it, the shot was taken literally on the other side of the court just a few feet from the T. Further, the shooter only had a smidge of the toe on the line.

Clearly an area beyond the C's primary. It wasn't like he had an entire foot over the line...crack the whistle..."it's a TWO"...and play on. What's notable is that they went to the monitor.

I didn't raise this issue as a criticism of the help. I'm raise it because I was amazed that he EVEN SAW IT. I still don't know how he did it.

Again...that's why he's working the game, I guess.